YouTube Shorts vs. Instagram Reels vs. TikTok

Well well well… look what we got here! A three way competition between short video creation. I don’t know about y’all but I have heard a lot of conversation and noise around YouTube Shorts and how it competes with Instagram Reels and TikTok.

I did find out that with YouTube Shorts you are able to link back to your longer form content which is fantastic for search. But, is that powerful enough to overcome Instagram Reels and TikTok? I’m not so sure.

What are your thoughts?

Also, if you don’t know much about YouTube Shorts here is a great article on the topic.

I would love to start the conversation with hearing what @jenn @EddieGarrison @ruthbinman @amanda1 @terry @julia2 @jpfunk123 @JonathanDGaby have to say about this!

3 Likes

In my opinion, short-form video will continue to be a mainstay on platforms for awhile, so rather than betting on which platform will win this race, my gut tells me marketers and content creators should just take advantage of the shift!

I see return of widespread cross-posting like we did 10-12 years ago (I mean, we’re all used to seeing TikTok logos all over IG reels at this point, right?). From the marketer/creator side, I know many people are simply fatigued from the work of creating original content for each platform. As the platforms work to plagiarize the best parts of their competitors, marketers and creators can ride this wave and capitalize on the opportunity to repurpose content with relatively minor tweaks all three places!

Fashion always comes full circle … why not content too? :joy:

3 Likes

This video had been sitting open in a tab on my browser, just waiting for me to watch it…and now this post prompted me to do so!

The verdict appeared that there weren’t a whole lot of differences! One creator said Reels are more professional, YouTube was higher production value, and TikTok was more casual. Another creator said her audiences on the different platforms enjoyed different types of videos from her. Many have also noted that Reels also have a greater ability to gain traction later, whereas TikToks have a shorter shelf life.

A few key takeaways (again, just from this video, but it squares with other things I’ve seen/read):

• AR is strongest on Reels
  • TikTok is the most trend-driven of the three
  • YouTube Shorts, being YouTube, appeal more to the audiences who also like longform video
2 Likes

This makes total sense!

1 Like