Wild stuff happening on Twitter (current for now)

Oof. We’ll see if it ramps up more today but have you heard about what’s going on at Twitter?

First, they changed a policy where you can’t post “real time location” - I believe this was due to ElonJet.

If you don’t know ElonJet, it was a social media account that tracked Elon Musks usage of his private jet.

Elon said it was like assassination coordinates. And then those accounts Elon Jet and the owner Jack Sweeny were banned.

Journalists covering the topic? Also banned.

Then nobody could post Mastodon links. If Mastodon was in a URL - Twitter will NOT let you post it. Here’s the message given.

Now the Mastodon account is also banned on Twitter!

My notifications don’t work anymore on the app. I have to actually go to my notifications to check.

A user said their Twitter Spaces was gone (RT by Christina Garnett). I also no longer have access to mine.

I hope that’s a good summary but I may have forgotten something.

Oh, this article might be a good summary as well:

1 Like

Spaces seemed to reappear for most. Yes Elon’s free speech only works when he wants it to I think. I saw some reporting Post also getting blocked. Hes a force until himself and really his avid fans should look at the power trip a little more closely me thinks.

Twitter has banned links to other social networks.

At both the Tweet level and the account level, we will remove any free promotion of prohibited 3rd-party social media platforms, such as linking out (i.e. using URLs) to any of the below platforms on Twitter, or providing your handle without a URL:

• Prohibited platforms:
    • Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Post and Nostr
    • 3rd-party social media link aggregators such as linktr.ee, lnk.bio
  • Examples:

Yes, I didn’t have time to post an update to say it was back!

They changed their minds, deleted all tweets, reverted back their policy. It’s crazy trying to keep up with all of it!

Was just coming here to post about this stuff (glad you beat me to it!)…

And there’s ALSO this crazinesss now:
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 11.32.18 AM

It looks like Elon decided to use Twitter Safety to run the poll about the social media links.

1 Like

A lot of people are saying that Elon already has someone picked out, which would make sense. Then make it seem like the people chose.

Yes, people are speculating that since he is in Qatar with his Saudi investors, they’ve likely put pressure on him to hand over the reins to someone else.
(People are also speculating that the someone in question is Jared Kushner, which I think is nonsense. I think it’ll be someone we haven’t heard of who’s good at running tech companies, perhaps someone already within Twitter—if anyone good is left!)

1 Like