Why You Should Build Your Personal Brand on LinkedIn and Why Now (Mandy McEwen)

Mandy McEwen

There’s one surefire way to stand out amongst the crowd of your peers—and increase your chances for career success beyond what you could imagine.

Build a reputable personal brand and community.

And the best place to do that?

LinkedIn.

It has over 850 million users, including 180 million senior-level influencers (decision makers).

92% of marketers say it’s their #1 social media channel.

It’s THE place to be for business professionals.

And there’s never been a bigger opportunity than right now to build your personal brand.

People flock to LinkedIn to learn about what’s happening in their industry and to connect with like-minded peers. And the LinkedIn community is growing rapidly.

But what about your employer?

How do you balance growing a badass personal brand while keeping your employer happy?

It’s easier than you think…

Your employer will see your brand as an asset, not a liability.

Companies value employees with strong personal brands. In fact, they prefer it.

If you’re applying for a job and your LinkedIn profile is hoppin’ with activity and compelling content, you’re going to instantly stand out.

Humans do business with humans they like.

People want to do business with you when you have a company full of trustworthy humans doing great things and building a community online.

The more thought leaders a business has that are actively advocating for the brand, the more trust and authority the brand will have with the public. This leads to more customers, which leads to more revenue.

We also tend to trust our peers. So when you build your personal brand, with it comes a community.

In order to build a powerful personal brand on LinkedIn, you need to focus on 3 key things:

1. Having a badass LinkedIn profile

There are a few really easy steps you can take to instantly stand out from 99% of users.

To start, you must optimize your headline.

In my opinion, this is the most important part of your entire profile. Why? Because it’s the first thing people see (aside from your headshot) before they click your actual profile.

So if you don’t make it crystal clear in those first few words what you do, then you won’t entice people to click through to your actual profile.

This is one of the first things I train sales teams on when it comes to optimizing their LinkedIn presence.

Make it engaging, catchy, and memorable.

Complete your “About” section

In addition to having a compelling headline, you also need to make sure your about section is complete. Describe the value you provide to people and include stats and testimonials to help build your credibility. Then you can weave in why they should listen to you and your accolades to build trust.

Use bullets and spaces to break up your About section and make it easy for people to read.

Quick Tip: Most of your profile visitors won’t click the “see more” button, so your first sentence needs to be a bold statement. Capture their attention and share what you do instantly.

Featured media

Another great way to make your profile pop is by adding featured media. You can include links to your website, case studies, videos, and your most popular LinkedIn posts.

This is a great way to showcase your products/services and build your authority. Don’t forget to do this in your Experience sections as well.

If you have client testimonials add them! It’s an excellent way to showcase some social proof.

Of course, there are a lot of other ways to optimize your profile—which is exactly why I created the Ultimate LinkedIn Profile Checklist, available for instant download.

Check it out and use it to optimize your profile so you can start generating endless sales and brand growth opportunities with LinkedIn.

2. Consistently build your network of awesome professionals

Focus on growing your network. Every day you should be adding new connections.

Aim for adding at least one high-value connection/conversation per week.

When you are an employee, focus on adding industry-specific people to your network. And your ideal customer profiles.

Leverage LinkedIn search and/or Sales Navigator to find the right people to connect with.

Quick Tip: Look at the people who have viewed your profile to see if they would be worth connecting with.

But before you send any connection request, you must engage with them first.

The best way to engage is by leaving comments on people’s content.

And not just a simple “like” or “great job.” Real, meaningful comments that are more than 2 lines and come from a place of value.

Show an active interest in the content you are commenting on. This is a great way to also build a community on LinkedIn.

People will see the comments you leave on content and in turn will want to engage with you and will check out your profile.

This is why you should record an audio introduction AND cover story video on your profile.

On LinkedIn mobile, you can add a 10-second audio note that introduces yourself. You can leverage it to humanize your profile even further by adding a friendly audio note for new profile visitors.

Most LinkedIn users are not using this feature, so this is an easy way to stand out.

In addition to your audio message, you should also add a cover story video.

All you need to do is head to your profile on the LinkedIn mobile app and create your 20-second cover story video. Click on your profile photo where you will see an option to add a cover story video.

This is a great opportunity to build trust by having people watch and listen to you. You can introduce yourself and your products/services and how you help people.

Head to my profile and hover over my profile photo to watch mine and listen to my audio introduction.

3. Post thought-leadership content on a consistent basis

When you post content consistently, you are not only boosting your thought leadership and building a community, but you are also increasing your visibility.

The more you post, the more 2nd and 3rd-degree connections on LinkedIn will see you.

When your connections engage with your content, it will show to some of their connections.

Thought leadership content does not have to be complicated.

With content curation, you can find and share excellent, relevant content to your followers.

Look for relevant industry posts, posts from your own company, or posts from influencers you follow for ideas on what to share.

Tag the author (@name) when applicable, and make sure to add your own two cents when sharing. Always try to throw in a couple of hashtags as well.

If you share thoughtful content, your audience will engage. You’ll build their trust. They’ll see you as an authority in the industry.

Value > Everything Else.

And there you have it! Three surefire ways to grow a reputable personal brand on LinkedIn while keeping your employer happy.

Always remember that in order to see results from building your personal brand, you must be consistent.

• Aim to post content at least 2-3x a week
  • Aim to add at least 5 new connections weekly
  • Out of the new 5 connections, aim to have at least 1 high-value conversation
  • Aim to engage with 5 pieces of content daily

For ongoing LinkedIn and personal branding tips, make sure to follow me on LinkedIn (and ring the bell if you want content updates!).

If you are interested in learning more about our LinkedIn Social Selling programs for sales teams, check out luminetics.io.

Mandy McEwen @mandy
LinkedIn Social Selling & Personal Branding Trainer for Sales Teams :rocket: • Reps See 3X LinkedIn Responses in 30 Days :chart_with_upwards_trend: • Keynote Speaker & Presenter :microphone: • Nomad :earth_africa:

Tell Us Below:

How do you leverage LinkedIn for your own personal brand?

2 Likes

Great article Mandy! I think I got a lot of work to do on my about section. I just really have a hard time knowing what to add there. I often think its gotta be a long paragraph (like I see many have) but I find it difficult to make it that long.

1 Like