Whoops...Missed ROI because of client's weird expectations? Tell your story! Then be our guest at the Summit

@SMP_Members You won’t want to miss this!

It’s time to come clean about our biggest client campaign blunders! Let’s admit it, we’ve all had that one campaign that totally tanked. Don’t worry…we won’t judge!

We all have a #ROImiss somewhere in our career! Tell YOUR juicy, embarrassing story of a #socialmedia campaign that tanked below!

Was it an extreme ROI expectation from your client?

A crazy request that you agreed to but knew you couldn’t reach?

Did you target the wrong audience?

Good news… In our quest to bring you the knowledge social media managers need…we are excited to be a sponsor for the Social Pulse Summit: ROI Edition We’ve got a FREE ticket for you!!

This free, one-day event on March 16th is designed to give you current strategies for driving + measuring real business results from organic social media.

You’ll learn from top CMOs, successful Social Media Managers, and the absolute best experts in organic social media from every major network.

Get insight into how to drive ROI from:

:rocket: Mari Smith on Facebook
:rocket: Goldie Chan on Twitter
:rocket: Jenn Herman on Instagram
:rocket: Jeff Sieh on Pinterest
:rocket: Wave Wyld on TikTok
:rocket: Owen Hemsath on YouTube
:rocket: Judi Fox on LinkedIn

Get your FREE ticket today! See you at the Social Pulse Summit: ROI Edition!
Register here

#SocialROISummit

5 Likes

Would love to hear some stories!

That line-up is stacked! AND a free ticket? geez!

2 Likes

Registered! I look forward to the discussions. :smile:

1 Like

I have stories… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :neutral_face:

I learned many lessons in my first years helping clients with their social media marketing - back in the day - that’s why I have so much advice these days! Learned those lessons the hard way.

One of the reasons I talk about client communications SO much is sometimes the enthusiasm for an upcoming project will blind you to all those unsaid things that will return to bite you in the behind.

And even if you CLEARLY put things in your contract and proposal - clients can sometimes come back and say things like, “but I thought we were going to sell at LEAST 100 more books than that…” :roll_eyes: even though it’s clearly written out that the goal for the month was 10!!

Well, that’s just a little bit on this topic – maybe I’ll dredge up a few more painful stories a little later. NICE way to get a free ticket :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

we need more stories - I can’t be the ONLY person who has miscommunication with clients…

We have (still have!) a higher education client who was 2 weeks out from registration deadlines and saw a slump in matriculation. So, they went out and paid $5k+ for a 30-second video and sent it to us saying “post this online and boost it.”

Well, I obviously had questions. This was completely unplanned, and they hadn’t consulted us at all about a campaign like this. They had gone into panic mode and been convinced that a video ad was going to get them the results they wanted. I knew better, but I went along with it hesitantly.

We weren’t going to convince anyone in the next 10 days to go to college or go back to college. I had some specific recommendations for placement and messaging surrounding the video. Of course, we had to work with what we were given, but I had some pretty clear cut direction on how we could make the most out of this.

I never received a response to any of my edits or suggestions, but I was asked once again to just pump out the video to existing page followers. My gut feeling told me to save all of the emails with my recommendations and their rejection. Good call, because 30 days later when the success of the ad was questioned, I was able to refer back to the emails I had sent.

Because of this, we made an edit to our service agreement text. The recommendations section now reads:

"RECOMMENDATIONS
The Company is not responsible for sub-par performance, errors, or losses resulting from recommendations not taken by The Client.

For example, should The Company advise against using a low-quality image because of bad end result, and The Client chooses to use the image anyway, The Company will not be responsible if the pixelated image results in a sub-par end product. In a similar example, The Company is not responsible for underperforming ads when The Client declines to follow targeting or copy recommendations."

2 Likes

LOVE THIS! Clear and to the point @amykpsh – this should be included in ALL social media manager contracts – And sorry you had to endure all of that - but good thing you trusted your intuition and kept all those records.

1 Like