🎥 Tracking The Right Analytics (Amanda Webb)

Amanda Webb

Amanda Webb is a digital marketing trainer and consultant.

We caught up with Amanda at #kickstart-dublin and asked her what data we should be tracking, how to start tracking our analytics, and how to know what’s working.

Find Amanda at https://www.spiderworking.com

What data should I be tracking?

I think very often we get obsessed with the wrong metrics: things like reach, which, of course, is important because you’re not reaching any people, they’re not seeing it, or audience size, when in fact, the one metric that really matters is how much money, or how many leads you’re getting that turn into money, from your digital marketing. So I always start there and work my way back.

So start with, have you got a lead magnet? Is it relevant to your business? Does that bring you good quality leads? How many leads? How much money is that worth? And then bring it back to how are you going to build an audience that’s going to be interested in that lead magnet?

So always the money, follow the money!

How should I start tracking my analytics?

The one thing that always surprises me is people haven’t set up their goals in Google Analytics. And this is the most important thing! It tells you if people are doing what you want them to on your site. So that can be things like downloading a lead magnet. How many people are doing that? How many people are filling in the inquiry form? How many people are actually buying from you?

And, confusingly, because now we’re moving over to Google Analytics 4, they’re not called “Goals” anymore! No, they’re called “Events” and “Conversions,” but actually, now that I’m getting used to it, they make way more sense, because you can actually track way more information with it.

So look for your goals if you’re using Universal Analytics. If you’ve made the brave move to GA4, then look for your conversions and your events and that will tell you so much about your website and if it’s working.

How do I know what’s actually working?

It’s all about the testing when you’re measuring things in Google Analytics.

So very often you can go off on a flight of fancy with your content. You can do the content that you want to do rather than content that’s working for you.

So one way to test that is to track people that are coming from those social networks through your Google Analytics: are they converting into leads or sales? If they’re converting into leads, are they actually good quality leads, are they people that are likely to convert or when you get your inquiry form come in do you go, “No, that’s not the client for me,” and I think that’s the most important thing that you can do.

So look at whatever social network you’re using, whichever project you’re using, and see how that traffic is flowing into your website.

Amanda Webb @amanda1
I work with businesses to get more ROI from their digital marketing using measurement-driven strategies.

Tell Us Below:

What are the main social media analytics you track?

How do you measure them, and how do you use them to inform your strategy?

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I loved chatting with you about my favourite topic!

1 Like

Great tips @amanda1 ! I have been diving deeper into analytics and find the data fascinating. Wish I could have been at your event last month :wink:

1 Like

I love analytics but I’m falling behind with the new changes. I have a client whose Google analytics are really worrying me as a lot of the traffic shown is going to an entirely unrelated business - (skincare vs tyres!). Seems to be connected to his original UA and now has new tags, but how do we clean this up. My client is skincare not the tyres! Any tips. We have traffic on the new tag, but this is really annoying!

2 Likes

The changes are crazy! We’re definitely going to be doing some more content and trainings on analytics, and on all the changes between Google UA and GA4.

In the meantime: @maria @cspenn @amanda any tips for @fiona1 ? :heart:

1 Like

It’s way more complex in GA4. If you are still in universal you can and an exclusion or even segment the traffic into two sections. In GA4 segments aren’t really a thing and I think (but I’m still playing with it) that you can do it using Tag Manager. I’ll remember to come back once I’ve solved it.

2 Likes

I know @maria has been running both because it’s all so different.

Exactly! it’s tough for businesses to understand UA and that was a very user friendly platform. GA4 is still being refined with a lot more happening in the dev road map. I encourage all businesses I train and work with to use both since they do behave like two totally different platforms.

1 Like

If there’s a discernible source/medium, and you’re collecting that as a data variable in Tag Manager, you can do an exclusion trigger to prevent Tag Manager from even firing when it perceives that traffic.

The big thing to understand about GA4 is that most of the configuration is expected to be done in Tag Manager now. We spent an entire module in our new course on that.

2 Likes

@cspenn care to share the link?

Sure:

https://www.trustinsights.ai/ga4course

2 Likes