TikTok Success to Business Success (Wave Wyld)

Wave Wyld

TikTok is amazing for lead generation and sales.

People think you need to have hundreds of thousands of followers or that you have to go viral to have success. You absolutely do not.

It’s the same as all the other social media strategies: if you can attract the right people to your account, you’re golden.

There’s a lot of pros and cons to going viral. It can be helpful for product-based accounts in categories that tend to go viral, like hair, accessories, or makeup—we see all these posts on TikTok that say, “TikTok made me buy it!" That can be helpful in some ways for a product based business, but for the most part, you just need to attract the right people.

Optimize your profile

Optimize both your username and your display name.

Screen shot of the top area of Wave Wyld's TikTok profile

Username

Your username is what is shown below your profile photo. You can only change that once every 30 days.

When you are first launching your account and you’re small, make your username relevant to the type of content you make. Remember, TikTok is a discovery-based platform; you have to appeal to strangers on their For You pages. So it helps if there’s some context.

I started my account as “TikTokBiz” so when people saw that username, they were more likely to follow me if they wanted more of that type of content. My name, Wave Wyld, had no relevant context for them. (Most people don’t even think it’s a real name—it is!—or can’t even pronounce it!) I did change mine later to Wave Wyld once I had a community and wanted to build my personal brand more.

Display name

Your name field is at the top of your profile and it doesn’t necessarily have to be the same as your username. Just like on Instagram, that field is optimized for searchability. Having that name field be relevant to what you do is perhaps even more important than having the username be relevant to what you do.

When people are scrolling on their For You page, they see your username, but they don’t see the name field. My name field says, “TikTok Tips.” So if you search for “TikTok tips,” I will come up near the top. It’s keyword-friendly, something people would be searching for.

The handle is searchable, too, so I can be found by people searching either “Wave Wyld” or “TikTok tips.”

Bio

Your bio is only 80 characters. That’s a lot smaller than Instagram, so you really need to maximize it.

A very short formula I generally recommend is:

• First line: who you are
  • Second line: what you do or who you help
  • Third line: call to action

Link In Bio

There’s two different account types: the creator account and the business account. On the creator account, you need to have 1,000 followers to access that Link in Bio. On the business account, you also need to have 1,000 followers—or, if you submit your tax information through the app, they will just give it to you. (Business accounts used to get the link bio immediately, but as of this past January, now you have to earn it!)

Obviously you really need to have that feature to be able to drive traffic to your products or your services. So, the first milestone for most creators is to get 1,000 followers.

List building

TikTok is incredible for list building.

Once you have that link in bio, you definitely want to focus on building your list. A lot of my students and clients are doing that and then selling through email marketing.

That’s been a big focus for me, too. I’ve made videos that promote a lead magnet or a freebie, and then I drive people to that link in bio to get on my list.

Create relevant content

Make content based on your products or services.

This is one mistake I see business owners make; I just see very random content. You have to make content that reflects your products and services.

Pinned videos

TikTok gives you the ability to pin three videos at the top of your grid.

Screen shot of Wave Wyld's pinned TikToks

Pin one of those videos that promotes your freebies/lead magnets, because when people come to your page and check you out, they’re highly likely to watch your top pinned videos.

If you’re a service-based business, pin a video that is an introduction video. Then also pin a video that’s either a testimonial or something about your services.

If you’re product-based, pin a video that highlights your products—obviously something that’s high performing. Again, maybe also pin an intro video and some sort of social proof/testimonial type of content.

TikTok stories

Right now TikTok is pushing stories since it’s a newer feature. Some of my stories get more views than my videos on my grid!

People get confused with TikTok stories because they think, “Well, isn’t TikTok already like Instagram Stories?” No—TikTok videos are definitely planned and prepared and thought out and have a purpose and a strategy; I script my TikTok videos, I have a plan of what I’m going to say so that I can clearly communicate a message. Whereas with a story, I might just jump on and do the whole, “Hey, guys!” thing. There’s a lot of content I would never post on my TikTok grid because I just know it won’t perform, so I will post it as a story.

One thing to keep in mind is that only followers see your stories in their feeds, so it’s great for nurturing connection and behind-the-scenes content. Non-followers can see your stories if they visit your profile, but they don’t go on the For You page to strangers, just to your followers.

You can have fun on stories because they’re not in the algorithm; they’re not performance-based. They give you metrics, but just the amount of views. And so it’s just connection for your followers. You can have fun, you can be silly.

Selling on TikTok

People say you can’t sell on TikTok. You definitely can. There’s just ways to go about it.

We know that even the TikTok ads platform says to make Toks, not ads, because it’s more thorough storytelling and it can be more subtle. This is why I like POV (point of view) videos and social proof content—it’s more subtle. So there are definitely strategies for selling, but of course just coming on and saying, “Hey, buy my stuff!” is not going to work. People don’t like to be sold to; Gen Z definitely doesn’t like to be sold to! But through storytelling, definitely.

You can make promotional content on stories, very similar to Instagram, except that you don’t have that clickable link button; you still have to tell people to go to your link in bio or check your profile. But you can be making promotional content on your stories.

There’s tons of product accounts that are making lots of sales through what I call “product features” or “product-based storytelling.”

Shopify integration

In terms of actual direct ability to sell on TikTok, there are some features on the business account. If you have a Shopify site, you can sell product. However, it’s still pretty new and I have noticed that it only is shows in your country.

I’m in Canada. I have a few US friends who have product tagging, but when I look at their account, I can’t see it. So it’s not international. You can’t get a global audience; you can get only people in your own country. So there is product tagging, it’s just something they’re still expanding on.

Live shopping

TikTok is actually pulling back on live shopping in the US and Europe; they were trying to get it to catch and it’s just not catching. It’s already so popular in Asia. The way that they’re doing it in China is the QVC type of way, using influencers: they’ll have an influencer standing there with all these bags and purses and accessories and giving incentives—“If you’re watching, you get this extra discount”—and all that kind of stuff. But right now it’s not necessarily something that businesses in the US should really be pinning any hopes on.

However—you can sell on a live stream without having live shopping! You may not get that clickable link within there, but I’ve sold on live a lot. I also teach my students to sell on live, especially product-based businesses. I see them all the time on live: they’re just they’re in their business, whether they’re packaging orders or making products, that kind of thing, and then they’re randomly dropping coupon codes and invitations to check out their website.

I’ve mentioned not to type “Link In Bio” in your posts—but there’s no evidence that saying “Link In Bio” while live will harm your reach in any way. I say it all the time when I’m live; I’m always driving traffic and referring to my Link In Bio. So you don’t actually need to have that clickable link; you can do it your own way. And I do highly, highly, highly recommend livestream for community building, and nurturing that audience, and for sales, whether you’re service-based or product-based.

Wave Wyld @wavewyld
Wave Wyld is TikTok Marketing

Tell Us Below:

How do you leverage TikTok to create actual business results?

3 Likes

This is freaking amazing! Thank you so much @wavewyld for sharing this great piece of content with us. I just started following you and already got into a rabbit of of your amazing videos. You are a total rock star!

2 Likes

Thanks for so many kind words. I’m happy it gives you some insight and hopefully helps!

3 Likes

Just found this. Awesome information. Guilty as charged for Random content. I think the first one I ever did like 2 or more years ago was business related and then I wasnt sure what to. Love some tips as mostly I work with service based businesses. I’ve seen heaps of great product stuff. Of course I’m going to be stalking yours now!.

1 Like