Summer is coming...do you ever hire interns?

We regularly hire interns. They are always paid, but in the UK, there are funds to help businesses take on paid interns. Santander (the bank) has a scheme with many of the UK universities where they will cover the full costs of the internship (search ‘Santander Universities’ or reach out to your local university to see if they are part of the scheme. You get full control of the hiring process and decision - you pay the intern and claim it back from the university. We have found this to be a fantastic way to give someone an opportunity at low risk.

Of course, this scheme is limited to university students, which in itself is a bit exclusive, especially if you cannot afford to go to university, so we also offer opportunities to those in other underrepresented groups.

I understand the point about whether you can give an intern the time, and the impact that has on the business but, honestly, when I was on my own and I took my first intern, it changed my business completely and allowed it to grow.

Huge advocate here!

5 Likes

It’s great to hear that they are always paid. That isn’t always the case here in the states.

3 Likes

It’s great to hear this Paul! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Wish the US had a paid internship program like the UK that’s for sure!

2 Likes

It’s getting close to Summer 2023…anyone have any updates for 2023 Intern plans? Personally I’d love to have a Community Intern at Social Media Pulse!