Sudden IG growth....legit?

My business’ instagram followers has seen massive growth after posting a reel. I hardly think the reel is viral worthy, and these new followers mostly are in different countries, their accounts are either new, private, or not seemingly into my niche.

I know having followers that aren’t in my niche or are bots, fake, etc can hurt me with the algorithm, but I don’t see how I can do anything about it.

Thoughts on what is going on? From 2000 to 10.6 in less than 2 weeks. What’s the angle? Other than it may have crossed over to the ASMR audience, I don’t get it and don’t want to be blindsided by something.

2 Likes

@Instagram_Experts anyone have any advice for @amy4?

1 Like

Hey @amy4 - I think your instincts are correct - as the demographic is not your normal one - but this will help get you in front of more people, hopefully, and the audience will sort itself out - I would lean into creating many more like the one that got all the attention for a bit – love to hear back from you on how this goes through time!

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, I agree. Now to continue making more content!

2 Likes

I wonder if you used any different hashtags? In some cases, you get the bots and maybe auto follows out of that.

Have you done any cross promotion with another insta account? Any pay to play of any sort that you are aware of?

1 Like

No pay to play, no cross promotions and no our of the ordinary hashtags.

I guess I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing (which isn’t much, honestly) and see what happens.

3 Likes

keep us posted!

1 Like

Hey Amy - hope my question / comment came across the right way. Just trying to discover potential reasons.

1 Like

If you wanted to go thru your followers list and remove those that you think could be bots, you could.

https://help.instagram.com/413012278753813

I think this would work even though at the top it says if your account is “private” but I have a creator account and I can do it.

Thanks all. I’ve started deleting or blocking the ones that have sketchy account names if I spot them as they come in by the 100s. Never thought I’d be annoyed at IG growth. Up to 11K. Time to take advantage of it and see if I can reach out to quality followers.

1 Like