Storytelling For Nonprofits (Desiree Townsend)

Desiree Townsend

Stories have been used to engage people for centuries. They are a powerful way to connect with others and relay information.

Non-profit organizations can benefit from using storytelling in their communications strategy to boost engagement with their target audience. This blog post will discuss how non-profits can use storytelling to achieve their goals and provide some tips on getting started!

Non-profits are often trying to engage potential donors who may be interested in their cause but may not have a personal connection to it. Storytelling can be an effective way to connect with these individuals and get them involved. When done correctly, stories can evoke emotion and create a personal connection that is needed to persuade someone to take action.

There are many ways to incorporate storytelling into a non-profit’s communications strategy. One way is to create compelling content that tells the organization’s story and mission. This can be in blog posts, articles, infographics, or even videos.

Another way to use storytelling is through social media. Platforms like Twitter and Facebook are great for sharing short stories or snippets that give insight into the non-profit’s work.

If you’re looking to use storytelling in your non-profit’s communications, keep a few things in mind.

1. First, it’s crucial to identify the story you want to tell. You can do this by brainstorming some key themes or messages you wish to communicate.

2. Once you have a story in mind, it’s important to craft it as engaging and captivating. You can do this by using strong language, vivid descriptions, and interesting characters.

3. Finally, make sure the story is relevant to your non-profit’s mission and goals.

Storytelling can be a powerful tool for non-profits to boost engagement and achieve their goals. By using stories, non-profits can connect with potential donors personally and persuade them to take action.

Desiree Townsend @Desiree
I help people live a bolder braver story. Inbound marketer specializing in social media.

Tell Us Below:

How have you used stories in your non-profit’s communications?

What kinds of stories?

I started my career as a smm working for a non-profit raising money for the Wounded Warriors Project. This local charity had no social media (think 10+ years ago) and we started telling stories of wounded vets, recovery and all things warriors. Powerful for sure. We took the golf tournament from a $5K event to $75K in just 3 years. Stories work!

2 Likes

With causes like that, stories are everything!
I used to work with a domestic violence organization. The stories are so hard to hear, but that’s what emphasizes the importance of the work.
I brought my husband to one of our galas once and he was surprised to find himself with tears in his eyes. (The person sharing her story at that particular event—a story which was NOT something we’d put out on social—was someone we knew personally, which made it land extra hard!)
There are SO MANY causes to care about in this world. But the story that sticks in your brain is the cause you’ll give your energy to. :heart:

1 Like