Job Title: Sr. Social Media Specialist
Company: City of Hope
Location: Irvine, CA
About City Of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work – and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
The Senior Social Media Specialist is a key member of the Digital Marketing team and will play a critical role in the success of City of Hope’s marketing, awareness and fundraising initiatives. The Senior Social Media Specialist’s primary responsibility is to grow and manage our social media community and increase engagement across all our social media channels. He/she will be responsible for developing social marketing campaigns, curating and creating content, tracking, reporting and optimizing efforts in our social channels, and the day-to- day management of our social media communities in collaboration with other teams. He/she will also be responsible for training and coaching content contributors and other social media page/account owners across the institution.
Key Responsibilities include:
Community Management, Engagement and Social Listening
- Day-to-day management of social media communities, including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, blogs, Flickr and Yelp; monitor, moderate and manage chatter and conversations; identify and pacify negative sentiment and comments when possible
- Work with individuals and teams across organization to coordinate appropriate responses to conversations, especially during crises
- Exponentially increase the size and engagement of our social media community
- Generate proactive user engagement of opinion leaders, philanthropic supporters, Web influencers and journalists; build bridges through users, especially on blogs; Increase size of and nurture that community to amplify marketing efforts
- Establish and manage new social profiles, as well as assisting others in managing theirs
- Use social tools to manage, schedule and monitor posts.
- Use social listening and brand reputation tools to track, analyze and respond to conversations about the City of Hope brand online as well as competitors.
Content Development and Management
- Manage social media communications calendar, with content from contributors throughout the organization
- Curate and create content, including copy writing, photography and videography, content sourcing and aggregation, and web graphic design; work with other departments on all aspects, as needed
- Develop content production schedule; develop processes and workflows to maximize content output with available resources
- Conduct audit of existing social media presences, processes and tools and develop new where and when needed; improve integration with existing City of Hope online properties and channels
- Integrate social media efforts with those in web and digital media, media relations, marketing, fundraising and more
- Create content for City of Hope community practice sites, clinical departments, and City of Hope – Orange County, to help raise awareness and drive attendance for their events and other initiatives
- Review content created by third party vendors and external agencies, providing feedback when appropriate to ensure content is aligned with City of Hope style guidelines
- Cover City of Hope events in-person and provide real-time updates via Facebook Live, Instagram Stories, and live-tweeting
- Develop social media plans for events that include execution timelines, content opportunities, photography and videography shot lists, etc.
- Collaborate with partner agencies on paid social strategy and campaign execution, identifying appropriate spend and targeting parameters
- Work with Philanthropy department to ensure social media and e-mail marketing campaigns are in alignment
- Properly brand existing and new profiles in all main social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.), improve existing City of Hope social profiles; develop guidelines for use by departments to complement existing employee social media guidelines
- Find and manage all auto-generated profiles and directory entries, claim where possible, and supply correct identifying information and branding, particularly on location-based social networks (e.g., Yelp, , Google, etc.)
- Work closely with Consumer Marketing, Clinical Marketing, Media Relations, Multi-Ethnic Marketing, Creative Services, and Philanthropy departments to build the brand in the social and digital media space
Reporting and Analytics
- Produce and manage reporting and analytics of all social media activity, including daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
- Help define program and campaign specific goals and KPI’s, and manage outcomes against them
- Help identify and develop tools and methodologies for reporting on social media activity
- Identify trends and relay learnings back to team to help guide content, marketing and fundraising strategy
- Help educate and train employees across the organization on how to create social media content and manage select communities/pages
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 5 years of experience managing medium to large social media communities
- 2 years of experience as a Web designer/producer
- 3 years of Web/online marketing experience
- 3 years of client management experience
Preferred education experience and skills:
Previous experience in healthcare, science or an academic setting preferred.
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.