Job Title: Social Media Strategist
Company: UC San Diego
Location: San Diego, CA
UC San Diego
SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIST
Salary Range: $65,000 - $85,000/year
The University Communications Strategy department establishes and guides communications content focused on advancing UC San Diego’s reputation of prestige and distinction as a leading global research university and academic medical center. UC San Diego Communication Strategists bring bold thinking and curiosity to lead the design and execution of nimble and data-driven content and print, digital and visual assets that accelerate achievement of the university’s short- and long-term strategic and operational objectives.
Employing best practices in research, planning, execution and measurement to monitor trends, attitudes and opportunities among the university’s key stakeholders, members of the University Communications Strategy department serve as key advisors to university leaders and the larger University Communications team to establish and facilitate thoughtful, interdisciplinary and cross-functional collaboration. The department is made up of six distinct functions: content development, creative and multimedia design, operational and editorial support, web and digital strategy, social media and community management, and UC San Diego Magazine publishing. Staff members work collaboratively as a team of professionals who identify and leverage new tools to engage, inspire and galvanize key constituencies. The Communications Strategy department also operates two studios, a state-of-the-art broadcast studio that links UC San Diego’s world-renowned leadership and faculty to a global audience, and a fully-featured video and photography studio for non-broadcast productions.
Reporting to the Director of Social Media Strategy, the Social Media Strategist creates and implements a comprehensive strategy across university social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok and YouTube) to promote and protect the UC San Diego brand and the prestige and distinction it carries while fostering lifelong relationships with our audiences (students, alumni, faculty, staff, parents, community stakeholders and friends of the university). Working closely with Communications colleagues across UC San Diego, the incumbent plans and develops content to nurture and grow our social media channels. Also works closely with students across campus as well as social media student employees to develop ideas and content.
The Strategist is responsible for the daily posting of news, content and campaigns on flagship university social channels as well as alumni channels, as assigned. Maintains a cross-channel content calendar and posts the right content at the right time to maximize interaction and engagement. Builds and nurtures online communities, actively engages with users, identifies brand advocates/influencers and implements processes and procedures to regularly test, measure and improve digital engagement.
The Strategist is a seasoned expert when it comes to the latest social platforms, tools and technologies. They drive organization-wide social media efforts, stay on the leading-edge of trends and technologies, and advocate for new approaches that advance the department and its goals.
Serves as a strong facilitator and liaison to ensure alignment with and advance the institutional mission and goals. Promotes a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and actively, deliberately and thoughtfully infuses inclusivity and diversity throughout university communications.
• Must maintain confidentiality of data.
• Must be willing to work flexible hours and to commute to off-site locations.
• This position may be eligible for a Hybrid flexible work arrangement, which could include a non-standard work schedule, and/or the ability to work off-site part of the time.
• Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of design and user experience, including skill to design in an appealing, lively and relevant way. Thorough expertise and proficiency in digital media content creation and administration. Demonstrated experience creating content for both wide and segmented audiences that inspires action. Keen knowledge of digital media trends and best practices.
• Proven knowledge of content management systems and / or relevant web applications used for web production and organization-specific computer application programs. Demonstrated skills to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long- and short-term strategic communications plans.
• Thorough understanding of organization’s processes, procedures, and applicable rules and regulations for web communications. Thorough understanding of technical language and requirements of the assigned work. Knowledge of effective storytelling principles and ability to write succinct, evocative and engaging digital media posts.
• Strong technical skills in computer applications for web production, image handling, publishing and design, illustration, presentation preparation, animation, web interaction, and / or other state-of-the-art web communication capabilities. Thorough knowledge of content management systems and / or relevant web applications used for web production and organization-specific computer application programs. Experience with Google Drive, Slack, Outlook, Canva, Sprout Social, and other business and digital media tools and other business and digital media tools.
• Effective interpersonal communication skills. Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of design and user experience, including skill to design in an appealing, lively and relevant way.
• Thorough skills to develop and implement original ideas and correctly identify and effectively solve problems.
• Proven ability to work both independently and as a team member. Ability to coordinate multiple assignments, prioritize work, function effectively under deadline pressure, and fulfill assignments on schedule. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Job offer is contingent on clear Background Check.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community - Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: Web