Job Title: Social Media Manager
Company: Rutgers University
Location: New Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey is seeking a Social Media Manager for University Communications and Marketing ( UCM ). Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Social Media Manager is responsible for daily management of Rutgers University’s main social media channels maintained by UCM , expanding the reach of the social media channels and creating engaging content to reach multiple audiences.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
Responsible for producing multimedia content that creatively promotes Rutgers’ values, missions, and key strategic initiatives, while building and engaging the university’s target audiences.
Supervises a social media content producer and works with UCM directors and staff to develop content and distribution strategies to increase the university’s reach to key audiences via the @RutgersU social media channels.
Position Status Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
Consistent with the current application of Rutgers Policy 60.3.22, this position may be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement. The flexible work arrangements outlined in Rutgers Policy 60.3.22 are part of a pilot program that is effective September 1, 2022 through August 31, 2023. Therefore, there is no guarantee that this flexible work arrangement will continue beyond that date. Flexible work arrangements are not permanent, are subject to change or cancellation and contingent on the employee receiving approval in the [email protected] Application System. Additional information may be found at https://futureofwork.rutgers.edu.
FLSA Exempt Grade 06
Annual Minimum Salary 71087.000
Annual Mid Range Salary 89978.500
Annual Maximum Salary 108870.000
Standard Hours 37.50
Union Description Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Rutgers offers a comprehensive benefit program to eligible employees. For details, please go to Benefits Overview | uhr.rutgers.edu.
Rutgers also offers a benefit program to eligible full-time postdoctoral fellow students. For details, please go to Postdoctoral Health Insurance Plan | University Finance and Administration.
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communication, marketing, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates knowledge, skill and understanding of communications and social media management of a higher education institution or equivalent brand.
At least five years’ experience as a social media professional.
- Use of personal vehicle in order to travel for business demands; a valid driver’s license would be required for this position.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Brings experience producing social media content and is a skilled video producer and editor and content writer/editor who is adept with multiple content, scheduling, and analytics tools to optimize management of all channels.
- Experience shooting video and editing video and audio for social media, along with a solid knowledge of the current social media landscape.
- Experience developing and editing social media content. Strong writing and editing skills.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in use of Adobe Creative Suite, including Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects.
- Knowledge of social media metrics tools and ability to track and apply metrics to content strategy
- Experience managing posting and monitoring of social media content for an organization.
- Current on social media trends across platforms and industries.
- Must be a strategic thinker, proven problem-solver, and an effective collaborator. Must have strong organizational, project management and interpersonal skills. Able to work effectively under deadline pressure.
- Hootsuite platform certification.
- Photography and videography experience.
- Experience at a higher education institution.
- Experience managing social media for a large institution, brand.
- Equipment Utilized
- Must be fluent in use of all social media platforms.
- Knowledge of analytics tools and platforms.
- Experienced use of a variety of cameras and accessories.
- Adept use of content management, planning, and scheduling software; Microsoft Office products.
- Physical Demands and Work Environment
Some evening and weekend work required.
Intercampus travel required.
Clean driving record.
Posting Number 23ST1222
Posting Open Date 05/03/2023
Special Instructions to Applicants
Regional Campus Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus College Ave (RU-New Brunswick)
City New Brunswick
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.
Under Policy 60.1.35 Immunization Policy for Rutgers Employees and Prospective Employees (https://policies.rutgers.edu/60-1-35-currentpdf) , Rutgers University requires all prospective employees to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and have received a booster (where eligible) against COVID-19 prior to commencement of employment, unless the University has granted the individual a medical or religious exemption. Employees who are not eligible for a booster at the time of an offer of employment must provide proof they have received a booster upon eligibility and upload proof of same. Under Policy 100.3.1 Immunization Policy for Covered Individuals (https://policies.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/100-3-1-current.pdf) , if employment will commence during Flu Season, Rutgers University may require certain prospective employees to provide proof that they are vaccinated against Seasonal Influenza for the current Flu Season, unless the University has granted the individual a medical or religious exemption. Additional infection control and safety policies may apply. Prospective employees should speak with their hiring manager to determine which policies apply to the role or position for which they are applying. Failure to provide proof of vaccination for any required vaccines or obtain a medical or religious exemption from the University will result in rescission of a candidate’s offer of employment or disciplinary action up to and including termination.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is university policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment regardless of their race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. As an institution, we value diversity of background and opinion, and prohibit discrimination or harassment on the basis of any legally protected class in the areas of hiring, recruitment, promotion, transfer, demotion, training, compensation, pay, fringe benefits, layoff, termination or any other terms and conditions of employment. For additional information please see the Non-Discrimination Statement at the following web address: Non-Discrimination Statement | uhr.rutgers.edu