Job Title: Social Media Manager
Location: Spring, TX
At ExxonMobil, our vision is to lead in energy innovations that advance modern living and a net-zero future. As one of the world’s largest publicly traded energy and chemical companies, we are powered by a unique and diverse workforce fueled by the pride in what we do and what we stand for.
The success of our Upstream, Product Solutions and Low Carbon Solutions businesses is the result of the talent, curiosity and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to optimize our strategy in energy, chemicals, lubricants and lower-emissions technologies.
We invite you to bring your ideas to ExxonMobil to help create sustainable solutions that improve quality of life and meet society’s evolving needs. Learn more about our What and our Why and how we can work together.
ExxonMobil’s state-of-the-art campus north of Houston serves as home to its Upstream, Product Solutions and Low Carbon Solutions businesses and their associated service groups. The facility opened in 2014 and accommodates more than 10,000 employees and visitors.
By bringing many global functional groups together, the campus provides employees with the tools and capabilities needed today, and in the future, to achieve business objectives and accelerate the discovery of new resources, technologies and products. It was designed to foster improved collaboration, creativity and innovation and enhance the company’s ability to attract, develop and retain the top talent in the industry.
The campus is located in Spring, Texas, on 385 wooded acres immediately to the west of Interstate Highway 45 (I-45), at the intersection of I-45 and the Hardy Toll Road, approximately 25 miles from the cultural vibrancy of downtown Houston.
The campus was constructed to the highest standards of energy efficiency and environmental stewardship. Its design incorporates extensive research into best practices in building and workplace design through extensive benchmarking of the world’s top academic, research, and corporate facilities.
What role you will play in our team
The Social Media Manager serves as a key member of the corporate communications team and works in concert with employee communications, media relations, corporate advertising and integrated communications leads to enhance and protect the reputation of ExxonMobil.
This leader will be responsible for the owned and earned corporate channels and communities but also is a servant leader to all ExxonMobil market-specific channels and communities in order to maximize brand impact and improve experience. This manager will build internal executive leader relationships, identify insights from performance data, and tease out cultural trends to apply in order to manage messaging and creative to business leaders, investors, policy makers and employees. This manager will be a passionate evangelist and partner in driving integrated communications and marketing ExxonMobil’s entire internal and external ecosystem (for owned, earned and paid channels). This role leads an internal team whose scope includes content creation, content amplification, community moderation, social center of excellence, social media management system implementation and optimization, owned and earned reporting, employee advocacy, and more.
This role requires a visionary who is eager to innovate, and willing to serve as a relentless advocate within ExxonMobil for social media. This leader will be comfortable working with a tireless and demanding executive team, and driven to consistently exceed expectations.
This opportunity offers extraordinary potential for professional growth, career development, and long-term development with the world’s premier energy company. The position is based in Spring, TX.
What You Will Do
- Lead global corporate social media
- Establish, build and nurture a strong network of relationships within Exxon Mobil’s corporate communications team
- Assist in the creation of and help drive and deliver the strategic direction of digital and social for ExxonMobil including channel, content, and outreach strategy
- Oversee and inform digital communications and content, and coordinate key internal messages and drive company-wide campaigns across functions
- Help drive strategy sessions with agencies and oversees development of creative briefs to influence messaging direction
- Manage paid media placement budgets for campaign sprints and integrated public affairs efforts
- Serve as the subject matter expert for creative content distribution and amplification and audience development and management
- Set and oversee owned and earned social media tactics and partner with teams on paid social media
- Own and manage corporate social channels
- Build and strengthen relationships with key internal audience segments and stakeholder groups to help drive literacy around how paid communications can advance reputation, content story mining, etc
- Help set and sustain leadership for digital and social guidelines and standards for the company
- Actively manage the pulse of digital and social for ExxonMobil as it relates to corporate reputation and positioning
- Set clear goals/objectives, track metrics, and develop reporting systems to monitor, evaluate and continually improve strategy and tactics
- Assist in the creation and development of a department budget and manage within expectations
Skills and Qualifications
- 15+ years of experience in communications, digital strategy, social media, and/or public relations. Prior experience in a tech-related, energy, manufacturing industries and demonstrated knowledge of consumer contnt trends is highly desirable
- Expert in the latest digital communication channels, trends, and tactics for the effective use of each
- Stellar writing skills, with the proven ability to write, edit, and proof content on a variety of topics for both print and digital distribution
- Successful experience in a complex, fast-paced organization with a demanding leadership team
- Proven project management skills with multiple, simultaneous, high priority initiatives
- Creative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Credibility as a highly identifiable, engaged leader known for driving creativity, innovation, and teamwork
- Excellent interpersonal, judgment and creative problem solving skills
- Strong vendor management and negotiation skills
- Bachelor’s Degree minimum (in journalism, communications, public relations, political science, English, literature, marketing, business or classics preferred) advanced degree in policy-related discipline also advantageous
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel
- Excellent attention to details and are highly organized
- Work efficiently, are dependable and have an entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong verbal / written communications skills
- Must be self-motivated and results oriented
- Some weekend/evening coverage may be required
- Familiarity and interest in issues related to energy, economics, the environment, corporate citizenship, and government relations
- A positive, proactive team-oriented attitude, culturally sensitive and ideally familiar with the working environment of a large, international organization
- Understanding and respect for international protocols, and cultural differences
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build strong internal and external relationships
Preferred Qualifications/ Experience
Demonstrated 15+ years of professional experience in social media, marketing, public relations, employee communications, content creation or public affairs
An ExxonMobil career is one designed to last. Our commitment to you runs deep: our employees grow personally and professionally, with benefits built on our core categories of health, security, finance, and life.
We offer you:
- Pension Plan: Enrollment is automatic and at no cost to you. The basic benefit is a monthly annuity to be paid to you in retirement for the rest of your life
- Savings Plan: You can contribute between 6% and 20% of your pay and are encouraged to enroll right away. If you contribute at least 6% to your savings plan, the Company will contribute a 7% match
- Workplace Flexibility: We have several programs such as “Flex your Day”, providing ad-hoc flexibility around when and where you work, as well as longer-term programs such as leaves of absence and part-time work
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans
- Culture of Health: Programs and resources to support your wellbeing
- Employee Health Advisory Program: Provides confidential professional counseling for you and your family, including tools and resources promoting mental health and resiliency at no additional cost to you
- Disability Plan: Income replacement for when you cannot work due to illness or injury occurring on or off the job. Enrollment is automatic and at no cost to you
More information on our Company’s benefits can be found at www.exxonmobilfamily.com.
Please note benefits may be changed from time to time without notice, subject to applicable law
Employee equal opportunity
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or physical or mental disability.
Nothing herein is intended to override the corporate separateness of local entities. Working relationships discussed herein do not necessarily represent a reporting connection, but may reflect a functional guidance, stewardship, or service relationship.
Exxon Mobil Corporation has numerous affiliates, many with names that include ExxonMobil, Exxon, Esso and Mobil. For convenience and simplicity, those terms and terms like corporation, company, our, we and its are sometimes used as abbreviated references to specific affiliates or affiliate groups. Abbreviated references describing global or regional operational organizations and global or regional business lines are also sometimes used for convenience and simplicity. Similarly, ExxonMobil has business relationships with thousands of customers, suppliers, governments, and others. For convenience and simplicity, words like venture, joint venture, partnership, co-venturer, and partner are used to indicate business relationships involving common activities and interests, and those words may not indicate precise legal relationships.