Social Bites: Waitress Musical (Kat Kelly)

What’s your name?

Kat Kelly

What major social media account(s) do you (or did you) manage?

@WaitressMusical @MoulinRougeBway @DoubtfireBway

What was the best thing about managing these accounts?

The fans! I loved interacting with all of the show’s followers and connect with the audience.

What was the HARDEST thing about managing these accounts?

When Waitress closed and I had to say goodbye to the account. It’s hard to let go of the fan base. I interacted with the fans every day, and when it closed, it was hard to let go of them all!

How do you think up your posts?

When you’re genuinely a fan of the account you post for, it’s effortless to create content. I post what I’d want to see on my favorite show’s social account.

Is there a long approval process for social content or are you trusted to pretty much do your own thing?

It depends on the client.

I work for clients that give us complete creative control, and we don’t need to approve anything. On the other hand, some clients need to see everything that goes out and make their edits.

If there are a lot of hands-on one account, there may be 4 or 5 people overlooking content before it even gets sent to the client.

What have some of your most popular posts been, and why do you think they struck such a chord?

My favorite and one of the most popular tweets I’ve created was the “Rise and Shine” Waitress tweet.

Tweet from @WaitressMusical reading, "Rise and shine, letting the daaaaay innnn"

Not only did I start the Rise and Shine Kylie Jenner trend on TikTok, but I brought it to my brand accounts. The Waitress fans loved a trend, and it was tweeted just at the perfect timing.

What have some of your favorite posts been, even if they aren’t necessarily the ones that went “viral”?

My favorite posts were the “meme” posts that did do very well. It was fun, off-brand, and relatable. Fans love when brands don’t take themselves too seriously.

Tweet from @WaitressMusical showing the "angry yelling pointing woman vs. cat in front of a salad" meme, reading, "becky and dawn telling jenna to take the pregnancy test" on the left above the women and "jenna" on the right above the cat

Has a post ever landed you in hot water? (Tell us ALL the juicy details!)

Nope! Since the approval process can be pretty tight, I haven’t landed in any trouble (yet)

What do you wish you knew before you started managing this account that might have made things easier at the beginning?

CONTENT CALENDARS!! Content Calendars are incredibly important. Being organized and having your content planned is the only way things can go up in a timely manner.

What’s your advice for someone starting out in social?

Most clients will have no clue what trend you are talking about or what TikTok is going viral. SHOW THEM how these posts perform on other accounts, and they’ll get the memo.

Also, if you think something will go viral but your client thinks it’s lame, really try to convince them that social does not take itself seriously.

What’s your advice for brand managers to get the best out of their social media managers?

Trust your Social Media Managers. They know what people like. Social Media Managers are clued into trends 24/7. Even when they’re not working.

Also, Social Media Managers wear a lot of hats. Be patient. It’s not just writing tweets and liking posts. There is a lot that goes into it.

2 Likes

love reading these!

1 Like