Social Bites: Paul Mitchell Schools (Mindy Thomas)

What’s your name?

Mindy Thomas

What major social media accounts did you manage?

9 various Paul Mitchell Schools locations

What was the best thing about managing these accounts?

Seeing and celebrating the progress of students preparing to head out into the beauty industry. Some of the work I had the privilege of sharing was so wildly impressive, I would have sworn they’d been in the industry doing hair and makeup for at least 10 years.

What was the HARDEST thing about managing these accounts?

Essentially being a team of one tasked with handling strategy, curation, copywriting, and reputation management. Especially at the height of quarantine with civil unrest to follow. We were always proud of our melting pot of a student body, but at that time, all of the differing opinions and views were overwhelming to navigate while attempting to stay true to the brand voice and still feel inclusive to all.

How did you think up your posts?

Listen to the community. The most Frequently Asked Questions tend to make the most valuable posts. As long as you deliver the information in a fun, platform-native way.

Was there a long approval process for social content or were you trusted to pretty much do your own thing?

Luckily, my specific role did not require too long of an approval process. I was trusted enough to act first and ask for forgiveness later. :wink:

What have some of your most popular posts been, and why do you think they struck such a chord?

Hair Transition reels/TikToks. Who doesn’t love a good boring brunette turned vibrant fuchsia transition?! Also Makeup Reels and “Day in the life” reels.

What have some of your favorite posts been, even if they aren’t necessarily the ones that went “viral”?

Graduation and where are they now posts. Accomplishment stories are so fun to write and share.

Has a post ever landed you in hot water? (Tell us ALL the juicy details!)

Yes! Mainly because I used local content for a social ad strategy rather than the pre-approved brand images. Once again I acted first and asked for forgiveness later knowing I would never get the seal of approval unless I could PROVE it was a strong strategy. And after I got the slap on the hand, my 30% increase in CTR was well received.

What do you wish you knew before you started managing this account that might have made things easier at the beginning?

Trust your gut. No one at the top knew anything more than I did. They were all learning just as much as I was. I played safe for too long.

What’s your advice for someone starting out in social?

Be respectful, but always push the boundaries. You’re there for a reason. Social is still the wild west and the only way to stake your claim is to try, fail, and try some more!

What’s your advice for brand managers to get the best out of their social media managers?

Give them space and creative freedom! Let them test something new and be open to discovering the challenges with them when something doesn’t work. It will empower them to not be afraid to fail and figure out how to make it better next time.

2 Likes

What great advice on pushing the boundaries and try new things. Failure is a way to grow and learn and get better! No pain, no gain. YOu’ve got to trust your gut and try new things. :slight_smile:

1 Like