Social Bites: Nutter Butter/Wheat Thins

What is your name?

Ryan J

What major social media accounts do you manage?

Wheat Thins and Nutter Butter

What is the best thing about managing these accounts?

I have an incredible amount of freedom. Nutter Butter is small so the reach isn’t dangerous and Wheat Thins has low funding, so we’re kind of in guerilla mode. Both allow me to take calculated risks and try new things. It’s incredibly rewarding already.

Screen Shot of a Wheat Thins tweet with trending distorted AI-created artwork, this one aiming to show "wheat fields with hands"

What is the HARDEST thing about managing these accounts?

The client isn’t as knowledgeable as the agency is—but that’s exactly how this kind of thing works. Explaining rationale is sometimes difficult but so far these accounts are not the most difficult thing in the world.

How do you think up your posts?

For Nutter Butter: the more nonsensical, the better. I get ideas at all times of the day and write them down.

Screen Shot of a Nutter Butter tweet that reads, "It smells like upnut in here"

For Wheat Thins: similar but I skim off the top and keep things a little more sane.

Screen Shot of a Wheat Thins post that reads, "how long do you guys air fry your wheat thins? asking for a friend"

Both brands are meant to connect with the audience at all times, so all posts have to be conversational/human - this makes it doable.

Is there a long approval process for social content or are you trusted to pretty much do your own thing?

For most things, I have complete autonomy. IG/visual content usually needs approval but Twitter and TikTok content are on our side, entirely divorced from the client.

What have some of your most popular posts been, and why do you think they struck such a chord?

LOL. The Wheat Thins “sup, crackers” and the Nutter Butter “N is for the way” posts. Both were a little wild.

Screen Shot of a Wheat Thins post that reads, "sup, crackers?" atop a graphic where the poster asks their CEO "cracker executive officer" if they can call their twitter followers crackers, to which the boss responded, "Sure, why not?"

Screen Shot of a Nutter Butter tweet reading, "N is for the way you nut at me"

NB was within its TOV and totally on brand. WT was because we’re redirecting strategy to better stay within the lines of the voice. But they were both out of the ordinary and were relatively well received as they blew up.

What have some of your favorite posts been, even if they aren’t necessarily the ones that went “viral”?

I’ve only been on the accounts for two weeks, so my experience is limited. Plus I’m biased, so I’ll say the two listed above.

Has a post ever landed you in hot water? (Tell us ALL the juicy details!)

Yes and no. I stressed the clients out with these posts but they are now the two most viral tweets in my agency’s history, so I have great support on my side.

Screen Shot of Nutter Butter's "nuts app" apology in a text note apologizing for the "outdated song reference" in the previous tweet

What do you wish you knew before you started managing this account that might have made things easier at the beginning?

Nothing, honestly. I work for an incredible team and so far I’m having a great time.

Screen Shot of a tweet of a conversation with the aforementioned Cracker Executive Officer where the poster shows the boss someone's tweet referring to them as an intern and the boss says it's time to log off

What’s your advice for someone starting out in social?

DON’T TAKE IT TOO SERIOUSLY. There is an art and a beauty in being relaxed in your approach to social. Sure, KPIs matter, but we tweet for a living. We’re not saving lives, especially in my case where I tweet for a f’ing cookie/cracker for a living. Be careful who you follow and take time off. Social media has been paved to look like a 24/7 job but you HAVE to be able to log off. Anyone who convinces you otherwise is not a friend.

Also, stick to your guns if you know you’re right. Many people think they know social and they don’t—that’s why they hired you.

What’s your advice for brand managers to get the best out of their social media managers?

If you hired them for their expertise, trust them. The more freedom you grant them, the more success you’ll have.

RELATED: The rise of brands being…“inappropriate”

1 Like