Social Bites: Keara Spicer (Tushy)

What’s your name?

Keara Spicer

What major social media accounts have you managed?

Tushy, Let Go, Bear Naked Granola, Klarna

What has been the best thing about managing these accounts?

Creative freedom and connecting to people in an authentic and non-cringe manner.

What is the HARDEST thing about managing these accounts?

Keeping up with your community.

How do you think up your posts?

Unhinged brainstorms that somehow get approved

Is there a long approval process for social content or are you trusted to pretty much do your own thing?

I’m trusted to do my own thing in terms of organic social but on the greater campaign scale, there’s an approval process. The process isn’t too harsh, we have it down to a science by now and leadership has faith in what we’re doing.

What have some of your most popular posts been, and why do you think they struck such a chord?

TUSHY Super Bowel is by far my favorite work to date. It grossed out so many people and sparked so much reaction. This campaign really spread further than just the internet and got people talking about TUSHY.

What have some of your favorite posts been, even if they aren’t necessarily the ones that went “viral”?

Memes. I love the memes.

What’s your advice for someone starting out in social?

Learn every day. Discover the weird corners of the internet often. And be sure to log off when you’re feeling burned out. This is an insanely over stimulating job and taking a beat is perfectly OK!

What’s your advice for brand managers to get the best out of their social media managers?

Trust your SM. SMs are in the trenches 24/7 with social media. It’s okay if you don’t understand all of the trends and jokes, especially if you aren’t as online as us. You hired us for a reason.