Social Bites: Aviation Gin (Adrian Molina)

Adrian Molina

What’s your name?

Adrian Molina

What major social media account do you manage?

Aviation Gin

What is the best thing about managing this account?

The enthusiasm of the community and obviously how inspired they are by our celebrity owner. Really creative minds and hilarious ones to boot that make engaging with them a delight.

Screen shot of a retweet by Aviation Gin of a fan's photo of a "Quarantiniii" combining Aviation Gin and Emergen-C; the Aviation tweet includes a disclaimer about not drinking alcohol when sick or underage

What is the HARDEST thing about managing this account?

Underage folks! Gahh

How do you think up your posts?

In the moment and what is happening in the cultural zeitgeist. Humor goes a long way, so whenever a good joke can be made, that send button is getting smashed.

Screen shot of an Aviation tweet imagining a conversation between Sales and Marketing where Sales expresses a desire to keep the buzz going after "that bike spot," Marketing protests, and the end result is an Aviation gin bottle duct taped to a wall, referencing the 2019 Art Basel banana piece

Is there a long approval process for social content or are you trusted to pretty much do your own thing?

Trusted to do my own thing as the entire brand marketing falls in my wheelhouse; social media is more of my reprieve from budgets and decks.

What have some of your most popular posts been, and why do you think they struck such a chord?

Just random quips and using our product in cultural moments. Really resonates as it’s inserting ourselves in the conversation.

Screen shot of an Aviation Gin tweet saying, "We were Meta before META," with shots of the "subtle product placement" of a bottle of Aviation in the Ryan Reynolds movie "Free Guy"

What have some of your favorite posts been, even if they aren’t necessarily the ones that went “viral”?

Whenever I use puns in popular songs or phrases. I somehow made Vision’s quote from Wandavision about Gin. :man_shrugging:

Screen shot of a tweet from Aviation Gin: "But what is GIN, if not Juniper persevering?"

Has a post ever landed you in hot water? (Tell us ALL the juicy details!)

Not really; the brand is tongue-in-cheek and we have a sense of self-awareness around tone to not offend anyone.

What do you wish you knew before you started managing this account that might have made things easier at the beginning?

Tweetdeck is the GOAT!

What’s your advice for someone starting out in social?

Write, write, write—and have a thesaurus handy.

What’s your advice for brand managers to get the best out of their social media managers?

Allow mistakes and people to learn from them.