Social Bites: Almay/CND/AmericanCrew

What’s your name?

Christina Monroe

What major social media accounts have you managed?

Supreme Management New York, Women Management New York, Women 360 Management New York, ALMAY, Creative Nail Design, Inc. (CND), American Crew and others!

What were the best things about managing these accounts?

Social sets the future. The future of digital marketing. The future of streaming. The future of music. And social media’s future is limited only by our imagination.

What were the HARDEST things about managing these accounts?

Organic engagement is declining. When social spaces are overcrowded and oversaturated, getting people to care can be an uphill battle.

With one of my current clients, Air Company, in particular, the most challenging thing about managing the account is cutting through the noise around the climate crisis and motivating people to learn more and act. There is a myriad of sources of information on social media that can be confusing, misleading, and even outright untruthful. It is important to communicate from a place of realism without slipping into cynicism about the climate crisis; communication has to be concrete and concise because climate anxiety is real and can be paralyzing.

How do you think up your posts?

Social media posts require considerable planning. I usually draft my editorial calendars a month in advance based on marketing initiatives, cultural observances, etc!

There is no doubt that content is king, but consistency should take precedence over volume and quality over quantity when scheduling posts.

Were there long approval processes for social content or have you been trusted to pretty much do your own thing?

Depending on the brand and the nature of the post in question, it will vary! Working with open-minded, creative collaborators who trust you is a privilege.

What have some of your most popular posts been, and why do you think they struck such a chord?

Relatable lifestyle content that validates what your audience cares about will always perform well on social. Memes that tap into culture and current conversations statistically, in my experience, drive the highest percentage of new eyeballs.

Shareable content generates more engagement and leads.

What have some of your favorite posts been, even if they aren’t necessarily the ones that went “viral”?

I naturally gravitate to projects or content that showcase real people. The power of empathy and authenticity cannot be overstated.

Has a post ever landed you in hot water? (Tell us ALL the juicy details!)

Luckily not!

What do you wish you knew before you started managing this account that might have made things easier at the beginning?

Complaints and trolls require delicate handling! Approach everything with compassion.

What’s your advice for someone starting out in social?

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. No one knows everything and social is constantly changing. Questions initiate discussions!

What’s your advice for brand managers to get the best out of their social media managers?

Take risks and step out of your comfort zone. Push boundaries. Test and learn. Social is not serious.