Job Title: Senior Manager, Social Marketing
Location: Nevada, United States
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
Upwork’s social team is on a mission to raise awareness of Upwork and become a culturally relevant thought leader in the way we work now. The Senior Manager, Social Marketing will be responsible for evolving and driving a best in class social program at Upwork, overseeing the evolution of our content strategy, the development of breakthrough campaigns (proactive and reactive) and building out a strategy for our community engagement and advocacy efforts - ultimately positioning Upwork as one of the most culturally relevant, engaging and fun brands in the space. They’ll set the goals for the social program and define the right KPI’s to showcase impact. This person will be responsible for overseeing a team that will be driving social media campaigns of various size and scale alongside pushing forward the day to day, month to month and quarterly editorial/always on social presence. They’ll need to have their pulse on culture both within our industry and beyond as they’ll be responsible for overseeing our reactive and disruptive social strategies. They’ll be responsible for overseeing the paid amplification strategy to optimize our content plan. This person will be knowledgeable about influencer marketing and have experience managing content creators, leveraging them in support of campaign and editorial efforts. The output of this work should redefine Upwork’s social presence, pivoting who we’re talking to, how we’re talking to them, building community, and supporting the development and deployment of optimized content in-line with business goals, specifically driving awareness and engagement.
Strategy and Team Leadership:
- Lead the development of ownable best-in-class social strategy and social marketing campaigns across all channels to drive brand awareness, engagement, and advocacy.
- Have expertise in social media platforms, creative practices, scrappy “shot on Iphone” style video production, and an awareness of influencer trends.
- Nurture a culture of continuous learning and innovation by staying current with social trends, tools, and practices, sharing insights across teams.
- Present comprehensive strategies and campaign plans to gain senior management alignment and cross functional team buy in.
- Oversee a team of social media managers to execute against the overarching social strategy, define the right team structure and players to execute against
- Lead monthly / quarterly etc creative brainstorms for the direct social team and creative partners, spearheading development of new content series and social first campaign and campaign extensions
- Be the culture carrier across the team - help the team think about (and execute against) the “what if we” moments, and thoughtfully assess the right times for the brand to participate in cultural moments / trends
Reporting, analytics and insights:
- Provide monthly and quarterly reports on social KPIs and progress towards goals including insights that inform future actions.
- Ensure cross functional partners are brought in
- Creative and agency oversight
- Oversee development of best in class creative briefs
- Serve as a liaison between social and creative teams - helping redefine and evolve processes and team structure to return creative output that breaks through and (ideally) drives earned media
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Knowledgeable about influencer marketing and have experience managing content creators, leveraging them in support of campaign + editorial efforts.
- Experience driving reactive marketing processes and impactful social first campaigns.
- Track record of leading breakthrough, culturally relevant social media campaigns and content that engages and inspires customers.
- Deep knowledge of the social media landscape with a passion for creating fresh ideas and innovative storytelling.
- Professional experience running business pages on Facebook, X, LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube to develop social campaigns that spark conversation.
- Proven background working remotely in a dynamic environment and juggling multiple, varied priorities across company-wide stakeholders — including a sense of urgency and eagerness to be in touch that is a fit for the 24x7 nature of social channels.
- Outstanding writing ability, interpersonal skills, and demonstrated sound judgment when handling challenging customer situations.
- Prior experience with Upwork’s martech stack including tools like Sprinklr, Emplifi, Buffer, Tweetdeck, etc. Must have an ability and interest to pick up new software platforms quickly.
The annual base salary for this position in California and Washington ranges from $107,000 - $186,000. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salary for this position in California and Washington, and individual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Additionally, this position is eligible for the annual bonus plan or sales incentive plan and eligibility to participate in our long term equity incentive program.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
At the core of our vibrant culture are shared values that form the foundation of our organization. These values revolve around trust, risk-taking, customer focus, and excellence. Our overarching mission is to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster an environment where individuals are encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work, nurturing personal and professional growth through development opportunities, mentorship programs, and participation in Upwork Belonging Communities.
We take pride in providing exceptional benefits to our employees. These include comprehensive medical insurance coverage for both you and your family, unlimited paid time off, a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. To explore these benefits in detail, as well as gain insights into our company values, working principles, and the overall employee experience, we invite you to visit our Life at Upwork page.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice