Really good LinkedIn connection strategy! Personalized & Value First

I just connected with someone on LinkedIn who then responded with an 8-second voice memo just greeting me by name, letting me know he’s happy to connect, and wishing me a good weekend.

That took him 8 seconds (maybe 12, counting button-pressing)—and made a HUGE impression.

I had mentioned in my connection request that I was connecting with him because of a particular subject matter he’s an expert in, so he then asked what I most wanted to know about it so he could direct me to one of his YouTube videos that addressed that specific element (he’s got a lot of them).

Note that he did this AFTER the voice memo, and after I responded to it with appreciation, thus meaning we were officially in a two-way conversation now—he didn’t jump right into sending me to his YouTube channel, nor was the thing he sent me to generic. He knew it would take him just a moment of his time to direct me to a specific resource that would be of tremendous value to me personally, based on asking me what I most needed.

This is a win for both of us (I get help, he gets traffic). Which is what all networking should be.

What are some good — and BAD — LinkedIn introductions you’ve experienced from people?

Share, so we can all learn from them, and perhaps add them (or remove them!) from our personal tool kits!

3 Likes

The worst are the automated connections when they must use a program that picks some random word and then i get - i see you are also in the real estate space - and i’m like ummmm noooooo - delete

oh i see we both work in the (insert some random field not associated with my profile ) - delete

Hi i just wanted to connect to see if you want to buy … delete

2 Likes

The wooooorst!
Lots of accounts out there that clearly haven’t even begun to do the most basic act of ACTUALLY viewing my profile before trying to sell me things I obviously don’t need…

1 Like

I kinda connect to connect if I see they’re in the same space as me (video game space) not necessarily their jobs. :point_right: :point_left:

Nobody has been mean to me yet! They don’t always accept but a majority of them do! I then try to add value to their feed without asking anything.

2 Likes