Pricing on sales page for services as an agency

I wanted to check in with the community here about a dilemma we are facing regarding pricing. We are running a small social media content creation agency.
Our thinking is that having the price points for our services front and center will deter people who are not our ideal clients. At the same time. our price point is not “low-tier” and requires some understanding of the services that we are offering. All of this is on the sales page but we are concerned that people won’t read and will end up turning away after reviewing the price point chart only.
I don’t see a lot of agencies with their price point on their website and I’nm wondering how we should position this appropriately.
What is your take and opinion on this?
Would appreciate some feedback on this.
Thank you!

2 Likes

@Agency Space friends, @lee @EddieGarrison would love to hear your thoughts on how to handle @pat’s pricing question.

I could elaborate on the offer. I made it short to make sure people were still commenting on posts!

I don’t have pricing on my website and have not ever done that for the last 12 years. I want to get in front of the client, find out what their pain points are and go from there. There is no one package fits all with what I offer and I really make each offer and each proposal fit to what they need.

I have added ‘a la cart’ items in the proposal in case they are curious about what additional services we offer. Then at least they have a frame of reference. Some SM consultants add pricing, others like me don’t. How big are you planning to grow? If it’s large, then have language as to ‘small, medium, enterprise packages’ and offer a ‘starting at…’ price point.

1 Like

This depends on how your agency is structured, meaning if you offer products it is fine to put pricing on your website, but if you are 100% Bespoke then I would advise against it.

In my epxerience, the best solution is a combination of a product line (good, better, best) and then offer each product as a custom solution as well for a much higher price point.

Everyone has the option of taking one of the products off the shelf if they want cost effective and gets results, but if they really want it custom they can pay a premium price.

Only when you have the compare/contrast of a product line to compare custom work to will you be able to charge higher prices.

The products should satisfy 70-80% of your clients request, the rest can fall into the higher priced custom work option.

Lee

1 Like

I agree with what has already been said - I don’t put my prices on my website because I also cater my service to the client. I don’t really have a one size fits all. I’m actually in the process of doing what Dorien does with the a la cart pricing - I love that model!

I would suggest putting language on your website that explains why you like to cater the price to each client.

I would work in language about how every business is unique and you position your services to fit in line with their specific business needs.

I think mentioning that you have various a la cart options lets people know that your services can range in price, which explains why it’s not on your website. I also think that could entice people because they know they can pick and choose different services based on their needs and budget.

I also like Dorien’s suggestion of doing a “starting at” option.

2 Likes

I’m for putting pricing on our website. I get where everyone else is coming from that you want to get in front of the client, me too. I’ve just always liked to be as transparent as possible when it comes to what we’ll be charging for [insert service here].

With many of the higher level executives (decision makers) I have spoken to, they want to see something in a glance before even thinking about jumping on a call or into a meeting. If they know it’s not what they’re looking for or in their budget, it’s a waste of time on both sides.

Now are all of our clients on one of the three packages that are on our website? Not at all. Those are more guidelines for businesses to understand what they are getting in to with offers, structure, deliverables, etc.

We landed a medium sized franchise (22 locations) a few years back simply due to the fact their CEO said she liked that she knew how much (ballpark) it was going to cost them. We even ended up being more expensive than the other agency it was down to, but they went with us because of the fact they saw the pricing & deliverables clearly stated on our website. This ended up being a $17,000 a month client for the time they were with my agency.

Will this work for all agencies? Of course not. Has it cost us business in the past? I’m sure it has. But even as a consumer myself, I’m not a fan of visiting a website and not knowing a price point on a service. I’ve gone with other providers that listed out their prices over the ones that didn’t.

My $0.02.

3 Likes

I think with this approach Eddie you could even also put a “Custom” package that the client could speak to you about if they don’t exactly fit in the choices you’ve offered.

1 Like

I put pricing on my site as it means there is no awkward moment on a sales call when someone realises they can’t afford me.

I don’t want to spend time making calls to people who don’t have the budget. I don’t offer bespoke services though, I have packages.

Occasionally I’ll quote for bespoke packages outside what I offer on the website but that’s usually after someone has come to and got an idea of my charges from my site.

2 Likes

Thanks @amanda1 for your response.
I absolutely understand what you mean about awkward sales call but, at the same time, don’t feel like people these days only go for the price point and do not read anything?
Also, I checked your site and couldn’t find price points… I checked under the “Work With Me” tab and checked the various offers but didn’t see price points. Did I look at the wrong place?
Having your price points would help provide context and compare with our offer. That’s why I’m asking!
Thanks for letting me know!

Hey @EddieGarrison, thanks for your reply. The idea of having it front and center makes a lot of sense. I am personally like this: I want to know if my budget fits within the price point of the service provider before going down a rabbit hole.
I checked your website and couldn’t find your price points. Where would I be looking for this?
I am only asking as a way to compare context with your service offerings and ours to provide perspective. Thanks!

1 Like

There is pricing on the GA4 page, the ROI Escalator if you click through to make an enquiry, on the ROI Fixer page. I think it’s quite prominent…

People aren’t buying because the price is cheap but they don’t want to waste their time on a call when they can’t afford something either. Marcus Sheridan has some great tips on it and I’ve always found it helpful for me.

Gotcha. I see the price point now. I believe this is not the same thing as having a price “chart”. This was the sense of my original question and this is why I was struggling to find the price points of your various services on your website. The way you are doing it is not by putting your price points but by sharing what the threshold price point is.
Thank you for clarifying.

2 Likes

What website did you go to? www.clovermediaconsulting.com is my agency website. Pricing is on each of the ‘WHAT WE DO’ pages individually. For instance, when you click on Social Media Management, the pricing level as listed there.

3 Likes