⏰ Office Hour: Shifting Community Paradigms

I think it’s great that people are starting to realize that. As gamers we’ve done that for a long time but there was always a bit of a stigma (mom’s house in basement, always online, home body, antisocial) that is slowly going away. I think the pandemic really helped there.

2 Likes

It’s super easy to get started in VR.
The first few times, Krissy got motion sickness, but she got used to it quickly.
But it’s super easy—point and click!

1 Like

Oh absolutely. Everybody being at home during lockdown, plus the state of the global economy and Millennials & Gen Z not being able to afford housing… much less stigma.

2 Likes

High schoolers Krissy spoke with recently said they don’t use social media.
“We use Snapchat.”
They don’t consider Snap to be social media—they consider it a messaging app.

1 Like

Gen Z doesn’t want to be a part of the large online community—they want to be part of more intimate spaces.
Dark social is going to be the norm: smaller, more private communities

1 Like

Yesterday’s panel on Dark Social:

1 Like

We’re seeing huge shifts in the creator economy

1 Like

Digital marketers are scientists: we test something, we look at data, we pivot, we try it again…

1 Like

I think this has shifted due to the realization of how harmful the world wide social can be.

It’s so hard to not be confused on this. Dark social isn’t new, right? Like I’ve been doing dark social for years right? People have had smaller, more private community for years or am I crazy??

I can see how Gen Z sees social as more of a way to message vs posting themselves. It’s more a way to consume.

1 Like

Adam Mosseri (head of Instagram) TED talk on creator-led internet:

1 Like

How so? More creators that can join in as ease of access? More access to money as a creator?

I feel like I’m asking a bit of redundant questions, but I may be struggling to read, write and listen at the same time haha

1 Like

You can’t JUST have entertainment value: you still need information out there, and an online presence beyond entertaining content

1 Like

“See what everybody else is doing, and then do it DIFFERENTLY—because you’ve gotta stop that scroll!”

1 Like

Capture their attention—entertain them, even SHOCK them, in a good way—and then deliver value

1 Like

People are now watching TikTok more than Netflix!

1 Like

(Good thing we’re doing #12DaysOfTikTok!)

1 Like

“Gaming is part of all marketing now.”

1 Like

It’s a way to enjoy the world better, and tap into an almost 150 billion dollar industry.

2 Likes

People and companies are moving their communities off of outside-owned platforms (like FB Groups) and onto owned platforms (like Social Media Pulse!)—taking control of that data and experience

1 Like

Creators will have greater ownership over their own content (rather than it belonging to the platform).

2 Likes