⏰ Office Hour: Graphic design tips for social media

Join us for the LIVE discussion, September 8 | 11 a.m. ET/ 3 p.m. GMT
If you’re a social media manager, it’s very likely you’ve been asked to create graphics for social media. Join Director of Community Education Ruth Inman for this week’s Office Hour, where she’ll share tips she’s learned over more than 12 years as a graphic designer to make your social media graphics more effective.

Open office hour allows you to ask questions in real time or continue the conversation indefinitely!

4 Likes

I love that all three of us have design backgrounds :heart:

1 Like

Hi Ruth! So excited to be learning from you again :tada:

4 Likes

Comment anywhere Office Hours streams and earn the Office Hours badge!

https://www.socialmediapulse.community/badges/114/office-hours

1 Like

I feel you on the technology shenanigans! Yesterday my computer just would not let me hear my guest on Streamyard until literally a minute before I went live… (it was a Chrome issue)

1 Like

A little more info on alt text & digital accessibility:

1 Like

Great tips!

I graduated from college as a graphic designer in 2002, so I’ve been doing it for 20 years now. I see such terrible and I do mean terrible designs out there on some pretty large accounts and it makes me cringe. I’m not saying you have to go out and hire an in-house graphic designer, but man, some are just horrible.

As much as I detest the platform, Canva can help a lot of people with design for sure. The reason I don’t like it as people have become way to dependent on it and I can spot Canva templates three ways away since everyone uses them and don’t even bother changing much of anything. Other than that, it’s great for non graphic designers to utilize, especially in a team setting.

1 Like

@EddieGarrison - I agree 100%! I’m much more of a fan of using a Canva template as inspiration instead of using it off the shelf.

On the other hand, I also am an advocate for working at what I call “the intersection of best practices and reality,” and even cliche Canva templates are better than bad design if someone doesn’t have the training or skill to create bespoke graphics.

2 Likes

@hannah - Always good to hear from you. Hope you enjoyed!!

1 Like

100% agree!!

2 Likes