⏰ Office Hour: First impressions of the BeReal app

Have your tried the BeReal app? This week on Office Hour, Pulse Academy instructor Phyllis Khare @phylliskhare will be joined by Amy Morales of Kapeesh Marketing and Shaun Moat of Moray Digital and 3rd Pixel about their first impressions of BeReal and its implications.

Open office hour allows you to ask questions in real time or continue the conversation indefinitely! Comment below, or join the livestream to go on camera here.

Amy Morales @amy3 of Kapeesh Marketing is a strategist, agency owner, and researcher passionate about breaking down barriers between complex marketing strategies and the pain points of rural business communities.

Shaun Moat @shaun is owner of Moray Digital Ltd and 3rd Pixel Ltd, based on the shores of the Moray Firth just 25 miles from Loch Ness. Shaun’s agency offers the complete digital marketing and website solution under one roof. He has more than 15 years experience working from traditional newspaper advertising to all things digital.

3 Likes

When I first uploaded, Im never keen to share contacts due to privacy, but it literally took forever to load as I figured I would need to. It didnt give me option to cancel out either.
I couldnt get my name so used my @communifi handle. Trying to search for friends was uneventful and when I my first video it also took a blurry pic of my kitchen as I didnt realise it took front and back at same time… it took quite a bit to try and discover you can hide it. It is possible to delete but only once a day. That might get a bit too real at times if you do an accidental one, especially if you had children in background etc. Privacy issues I felt.

2 Likes

then i couldnt find the options to delete or hide! Then discovered you cant retake unless you have 10 friends. It was clear. I got my first image saying “4 hrs late” but I’d never used it before. Pressing that gave me the delete option. At this stage I feel its s bit messy. In some ways similar to Volley which I have found messy.

3 Likes

My experience has been similar. They definitely have you flying blind by not allowing you to see anything until you post. I read this article on Gawker recently, and the summary had me chuckling:

The photos are not great, but at least they’re not ads.

:rofl:

1 Like

:joy::joy:…yet? :joy:

2 Likes

Right?!?!

1 Like

I’ll look for you on the app @fiona1 - we have a nice little group going of social media managers and agency owners – if you are in our group we’ll have covered the planet basically :slight_smile: It was really buggy the first few times I used it. Now, it’s pretty smooth (knocks on wood).

1 Like

ok i will have to give ir another go when i’m happy to have both cameras on :joy:

2 Likes

I hate the idea of it. We have enough plays off psychology from social media platforms. If this platform is successful it will condition everyone to drop everything in that random two minute window to post? I like the idea of getting away from filtered/edited images that make people strive for unrealistic goals, but this attempt at that issue isn’t it.

3 Likes

I hear that - !! - the one thing it does is really bond a group together because they see the everyday - the normal stuff - what’s on your plate - what TV show you’re watching - and you feel like you are seeing the real world. The downside is the BeReal notification WHICH ACTUALLY JUST happened as I’m typing – haha - and you only get two small lines of text for each post – which is optional.

1 Like

I anaged to take a photo of my computer screen and myself and because of timezone is very quiet ha ha…

2 Likes

but i did find your request Phyllis … somehow i missed that.

2 Likes

Sitting here listening to an NPR Technology report on BeReal – lots of interesting comments from teenagers – basically saying what we did in the session that it is the antidote to IG.

1 Like

I have no idea how you find things! I have one friend… you (thank you) … where is search? How do I find these things. I’m not finding it an easy app and the time difference means Im always “late” :joy:

2 Likes

I dont particularly like the double photo thing

2 Likes

yes - certainly different and it really takes some getting used to. I remember being surprised by that. And as I mentioned in the Open Office Hour - sometimes I just don’t want to be that Real and hide my face. hahah. totally not the vibe of the app @fiona1

2 Likes

@fiona1 it’s rare to be on time it seems. Most of the time in my little circle we are all late. I don’t know how it works with Australia. You are welcome to be friends with the people I’m testing it with – At the top LEFT on the app look for the add contact + – then put in these usernames moaty (@shaun ShaunMoat) yeswende (Wendy) tracyrateri (Tracy) genxxx (Marina) and there are more but I don’t see their usernames at the moment – @amy3 and @RebeccaC

2 Likes

mine username for BeReal is moaty

3 Likes