Job Title: Manager II - Corporate Communications (Media Relations & Social Media)
Company: Union Pacific Railroad
Location: Omaha, NE
Union Pacific is hiring a multimedia expert to protect and promote the railroad’s more than 160-year-old brand, specializing in media relations, social media strategy, executive presentation support, and project management. This role requires a communications professional with demonstrated creativity and expertise in written and verbal communications, who excels at executing a project from concept to conclusion.
To be successful in this role, the manager must be creative and self-motivated, exercise sound judgment and capable of balancing multiple projects with the ability to change direction and quickly respond to crisis situations. Exceptional writing and editing skills are required, as is a passion for storytelling.
The manager will be on call to respond to media inquiries after business hours and on rotating weekends. Travel is required to host media at various locations across Union Pacific’s 23-state system, and, in some cases, there will be little notice for crisis response as part of the company’s “Go Team.”
Union Pacific has a 50% work from home policy. Benefits include a robust 401K matching plan, an employee stock plan (ESP), health, vision and dental coverage, life and disability insurance, wellness programs, adoption/surrogacy assistance, childcare/support services, parental leave, tuition reimbursement and many other valuable benefits. The long list of benefits can be found under the Benefits section on up.jobs (https://up.jobs/why/benefits/index.htm)
- Harness communication and writing expertise to translate corporate strategies and goals into compelling storytelling shared across a variety of external channels.
- Write and edit various materials including news releases, fact sheets, web content, emails, news stories and other materials as required.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop messaging that promotes Union Pacific’s brand, creates goodwill and builds understanding of the railroad’s essential role in the U.S.
- Pitch, organize and host media for proactive storytelling opportunities at sites across Union Pacific’s system.
- Respond to reactive media inquiries and crisis situations.
- Provide expert counsel to senior leaders on media strategies and messaging.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders, and key journalists.
- Help create and execute Union Pacific’s social media strategy through broad storytelling efforts and content creation, providing effective project management and working with internal clients to achieve best-in-class results.
- Support social media monitoring and response
- Provide executive presentation support.
- Serve as liaison for Mac Network technical support vendor.
- Maintain the company’s Digital Asset Management program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Excellent Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) skills
- Expert verbal and written communication skills including confidence presenting concepts to others
- Strong strategic thinker with the ability to take a project from conception to completion
- Exceptional organizational, planning and problem-solving skills with the ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- Demonstrated experience creating engaging social media elements, such as infographics, and posting content on various channels
- Participate in on-call media coverage on a rotating basis with some holiday work possible
- Ability to research and respond to media inquiries for an assigned territory
- 3-5 years experience working in news or in a corporation/with corporate clients
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) skills
18 years of age or older
Background click to expand contents
On a post-offer basis, Union Pacific and or its subsidiaries will conduct an investigation into newly hired or transferred employees regarding their past employment, state and federal criminal history, military history, driving history, education, professional license or certification verification if job-related, Social Security number, prior drug history, and other job-related information. Individuals must pass a background investigation for employment. Please click here to review Union Pacific’s policy regarding background investigations.
Medical click to expand contents
Employment with Union Pacific is contingent upon the successful completion of a health examination for newly hired or transferred employees which may include a drug screen, a color vision exam, and a fitness-for-duty assessment to ensure that candidates can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. In addition, the company conducts for-cause, post-accident, and random drug and alcohol testing of its employees.
COVID-19: Union Pacific complies with its federal contractor obligations concerning the spread of COVID-19; however, the vaccination mandate is currently stayed. Union Pacific will update our employees and applicants of any changes to these obligations as warranted.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation: Union Pacific supports diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer here . Union Pacific is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce where equal employment opportunities are available without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, religion, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, or genetic information. Union Pacific strictly prohibits any discrimination or harassment based on protected status. Union Pacific is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its employment of individuals with disabilities. To request a disability accommodation in the application process, please use this link here to submit a request.