LinkedIn strategy/tips for nonprofit marketing/development admin

Hey all,

I am about one year into my full-time position as a nonprofit marketing & development admin. I’ve spent most of this first year developing a content strategy, pillars, and schedule for our largest channels (Facebook and Instagram), as well as getting our marketing materials in order to keep everything consistent as a brand. One of my next goals is to dive deeper into LinkedIn. As of right now, we post about 2-4 times per month, with big announcements, intern opportunities, and impact milestones. It is our smallest audience (less than 100 followers, compared to 1,100 of FB and 500 on IG).

I know I should be upping my game here, especially since we are a locally-based, community-focused nonprofit and having professional business connections is key to helping grow the organization through fundraising and grow our team’s abilities through networking and learning opportunities. Being a young organization, we are still “the new kids in town” so increasing brand recognition is a big goal of ours.

I’m curious to hear your best tips, tricks, and strategies about tapping in to the LinkedIn audience. What type of content has worked best for you and your clients in the past? How often do you post? Which content pillars do you focus on? What have you learned about your LinkedIn audience vs. audiences on other platforms?

2 Likes

Hey there, Taylor!

I run LinkedIn for a handful of clients who are in the aviation industry. Many of them have partnerships or feature products from different companies, so we always make it a point to tag any company pages we might be mentioning in our posts.

They also attend a lot of conferences and trade shows, so we’re always asking them to send photos so that we can post about their activity out in the industry, tag the events and use the event hashtags.

Short video content is something that we’re seeing works very well for them, something short, polished and educational usually does the trick.

We encourage leaders to write Pulse articles and to mention their company pages often to build reach and awareness.

I’d say our typical cadence is 3-4 posts per week per client. We also do regular hashtag research and engage with other posts as we can. I just noticed today that LinkedIn now has a toggle button allowing users to toggle between personal profile or company page in order to interact on a post.

I hope you find these items to be helpful! I know also that @judiwfox and @dorien post a lot of helpful LinkedIn pieces in this community, so keep your eyes open for those.

8 Likes

Thanks for tagging me into the conversation Jen!

And congrats Taylor on your success and getting active on LinkedIn. The way I break up content strategy is choosing 3 types of content delivery (i.e. short video, document carousel, and photo posts). There are over 12 types of posts to choose from to create a pattern for LinkedIn. And then choose categories, here are some examples from my clients:

• Spotlight Post - Feature an Employee, Client, Follower, Community Member, Partner, etc…
  • Event Post (as Jen Cole described) - Photos of the team attending / Summary of Event
  • Industry News - Keep your community updated and summarize the news or share an opinion
  • PR / Press / Media - Post about Success moments or milestones achieved

Yes, and I am loving the new feature to toggle between commenting as a company vs. personal profile on posts that Jen mentioned. The commenting activity on events you attended, breaking news, etc… can add your company to the conversation and get more visibility. Finally, we have recently been featuring posts from the company to the personal profile, which has been working to move visibility from the personal profile to the company page.

5 Likes

Hey Taylor

I’ve always found LinkedIn works best for my clients when the CEOs/Director’s and leadership team are actively making connections - it’s that personal sharing of information and connection that works best.

It’s great for outreach. Next for me would be having the team involved and making sure their profiles are all connected to the page

And i apologise as i wrote this just after you posted and it didn’t send! You have the amazing Judi Fox here and she’s the bomb!

Fi

6 Likes

Thanks for the tag and yes, all of the above.

In addition, make sure to:

:star: Invite people to like that LinkedIn page
:star: Start a company newsletter if possible
:star: Share thought leadership posts
:star: Vary the types of content you post
:star: Keep an eye on analytics! Post more of what works well, less of what doesn’t
:star: Add call-to-actions to your posts

Hope these tips help!

6 Likes

Hi, @taylor ! I recommend clicking on the #linkedIn content tag to find content on the topic:
https://www.socialmediapulse.community/tag/linkedin

@judiwfox @dorien @louise have all done some great pieces on it and are well worth following on social as well! (@aj1 has some great content here, too, but it’s about #linkedIn-ads !)

@Desiree might be a good source of advice regarding non-profits specifically.

Good luck! :heart:

4 Likes

And to answer your questions specifically, from my own personal experience:
What type of content has worked best for you and your clients in the past?: I find content that tags in other people (DON’T use it as engagement bait; only tag where relevant!) tends to get more action.
How often do you post? Posting more than once a day actually damages your reach on LinkedIn for some reason. I try to post something most weekdays but I often fall short of that. The LinkedIn algorithm cares how much you ENGAGE too, though, so I make sure to make time to engage with other posts as well, and of course every comment I get.
Which content pillars do you focus on? For both personal profiles and company/org pages, I’ve found things that share relatable experiences and/or ask for opinions on specific topics tend to do best. Even if it links to a piece of external content, contains a Docs attachment (GREAT for reach and engagement, btw), etc., the content of the post itself seems to matter most, since people will only
What have you learned about your LinkedIn audience vs. audiences on other platforms? Quieter, for sure. But it doesn’t mean they’re not there. I nearly gave up on LinkedIn Live due to total lack of commentary, until I looked at the views. LinkedIn may be less chatty, but people are still paying attention—and if they’re paying attention to your content, even if they’re quiet about it, LinkedIn’s algorithm still notices.

5 Likes

@taylor there is a whole section of LinkedIn devoted to non-profits you might find useful - https://nonprofit.linkedin.com/

5 Likes

That’s a great resource @louise! Many thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Great tips @judiwfox @dorien @christine @fiona1 @jencoleict

Thank you!

4 Likes

These are all great tips! From a fundraising perspective, think of your LinkedIn page as an asset.

If you are having an event, is social media engagement part of the benefits of sponsoring that event? Remember to build that engagement into your fundraising prospectus, where more dollars donated means more posts dedicated to that sponsors support. So a gift of $10,000 for your lead sponsorship means an exclusive post dedicated to that sponsor and what a fantastic supporter they are, while a $3,000 gift means they’re tagged in social media with all of the other sponsors.

LinkedIn will be most attractive for sponsorship of white papers or conferences, and to companies that are looking at employee engagement like a community day of service.

Different sponsors will want visibility on different channels; professional services will want visibility on LinkedIn while an ice cream shop may consider Facebook more valuable. Think about offering these firms posts written by you as one of the benefits so your mission and the population you serve are properly described.

4 Likes

Such a great point!! Thanks for sharing this piece, Diana.

1 Like

@taylor hope you got a chance to come back and read some of the amazing comments

2 Likes

YES, thank you everyone!

2 Likes