Let's Talk About Not Burning Out (Julia Jornsay-Silverberg)

Working in social media is just like working in any industry; there are upsides and downsides.

On the upside, you get to work in a fast-paced industry that is constantly evolving and keeps you on your toes. On the downside, you have to stay plugged in if you want to stay on top of the constant changes and emerging features.

Because we’re constantly switching between Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, it can be hard to shut off mentally. In fact, I’d argue that social media burnout is the biggest challenge that social media managers face.

That’s why I wanted to talk about what we can do to prevent burnout. Because the reality is that if we feel burned out, we won’t have the ability to infuse our energy and creativity into our content for ourselves, our teams, and/or our clients.

Here are my top 3 ways that I prevent burning out on social media:

1. Take digital detoxes

I make it a practice to take time away from my screen so that I can truly tap back into what matters most: the present moment right in front of me. By doing mini digital detoxes (whether it’s 2 or 12 hours), I am able to come back to my phone feeling more refreshed and relaxed; that’s always when my best ideas come to me!

2. Create time limits

It’s easy to fall down rabbit holes on social media and spend hours more than you expected on a platform. That’s why I am a firm believer in setting time limits for your platform usage. Think of this as a way of setting digital boundaries.

The best part? With the newest version of iOS, it’s easier now than ever to set time usage limits for specific apps on your phone. Once you hit the limit, the app will be grayed out and prevent you from using it until the time period expires.

3. Have an accountability buddy

It can be a lot easier to achieve our goals when we have someone beside us supporting the baby steps that we take to get there. I highly recommend asking a close friend to be a digital accountability buddy to help remind you of the following things: 1, your value is not derived from your follower count. 2, your ideas are worth sharing. 3, life is happening right now, beyond your devices. Sometimes it just takes a friendly reminder to help us to re-prioritize things and take a step away.

At the end of the day, your mental and emotional health should always come first. If you notice that your time spent on social media is taking more away from you than adding, it’s time to take a step back and make a shift.

What do you think?
How do you avoid burnout while working in social media?
Let’s start an honest conversation about how we can help ourselves and help each other!

Julia Jornsay-Silverberg @julia2
Julia Jornsay-Silverberg is an anti-highlight reel creator who loves to excite, inspire and motivate people to utilize self-awareness as their superpower in order to really create relationships.

3 Likes

This is a big conversation in my world. I completely agree with your three points to move through it. The way I move through burnout is to go outside and garden. Nothing like ripping weeds out of the ground and dragging heavy logs across the yard to get back to neutral. :slight_smile: And also to remember I don’t need to be staring at a screen ALL day long. Time management becomes a necessary skill to stay out of burnout. And having clients that don’t have unrealistic expectations for “office hours” -

4 Likes

YESS i love that you go outside and garden, I think that’s such a fantastic way to move through those feelings – literally grounding yourself. I love that suggestion.

4 Likes

I discovered my love for movies in five languages while working from home in the last three years - I usually watched movies only in two languages until then. I ensure I am watching a movie every night without touching my phone and it has helped me maintain a sense of wonder through a grueling work schedule.

Another great hack I recommend is separating place of work and play. It helps create mental guardrails within a day and maintains work-life balance without being actively engaged with something.

3 Likes

LOVE that idea, I agree that separating the place of work and play could be a great idea to helping create those boundaries!

2 Likes