Let's Chat: Trendjacking + Newsjacking

As you create content for clients, there are many different strategies social media managers can take. Trendjacking and Newsjacking are options.

Trendjacking is the practice of jumping in on trending topics, hashtags, events, or memes. Brands and companies can use trendjacking as a means to bring a conversation to their brand or connect with their audience or target audience in a new way.

Newsjacking is immediately reacting to a news story with expertise to gain attention, achieve PR coverage, and capitalize on a developing trend.

This graph from David Meerman Scott, internationally known marketer, speaker and author shows the life “newsjacking”

Have you ever jumped on a trend or news story?
Should you?
How do you determine if the event or news is relevant to your client?
What brands or companies have you seen do this well?

A classic example is this Tweet from Oreo after the 2013 Superbowl halftime show blackout

A more recent example is Krispy Kreme…playing off the surge in gasoline prices in the USA, the iconic glazed doughnut purveyor has priced a dozen doughnuts the same as the average price of a gallon of gas on Wednesdays for several weeks this summer.

2 Likes

I’ve done this one time with my personal brand, and I actually made it onto buzzfeed… Back in November 2013, the Dreamlifter (a GINORMOUS aircraft) landed at a small airport here in Wichita when it was actually supposed to land here at our Air Force Base instead. (longer runway… lol) I can’t say who my source was for the news, but I found out this was happening before most people were even aware, drove immediately out to that airport and got a really great shot next to runway, out on a nearby street. I Posted it as fast as I could on my instagram and twitter accounts, and next thing you know affiliate news stations were asking if they could use it. Here’s the link to the article.

3 Likes

I’ve seen it done well and I’ve also seen it done badly. The worst i’ve seen tend to pick up on a death and not just have a respectful post but just make some rather obscure connection. A speaker i knew used to do it all the time and it drove me batty as I found it so rude as the post would have a “buy my stuff” attached.

I think if it’s local to your area, or relevant to your brand - or it’s respectful and not being used to sell then why not.

My other bug bear is seeing the word “hack” used when something is just a normal feature but perhaps not as well known. Ah that’s better needed to get that off my chest.

2 Likes