Let's Chat: Social Media Reporting

Let’s compare notes…
How often do you run social reports?
Do you use a tool or do you create your own reports?
Do you actually look at them?
Do the results you see cause you to adjust your strategy?
Do your clients care?
What’s their biggest focus?
What’s your biggest tip about using reporting?

4 Likes

How often do you run social reports? - Once a month, but only to clients who value them and actually use them. Otherwise, it’s a waste of time.

Do you use a tool or do you create your own reports? - Create our own. Numbers in themselves don’t mean anything. I like to offer an interpretation.

Do you actually look at them? - All the time.

Do the results you see cause you to adjust your strategy? - Absolutely. What’s the point otherwise?

Do your clients care? - Not really. Some do, if they have to answer to other people.

What’s their biggest focus? - Audience size and growth. Conversions/Leads. I really don’t have a problem with people focusing on audience size. Looking at audience size as a ‘vanity metric’ is naive IMO. Audience (the right one) growth matters if you’re to take that to conversion.

What’s your biggest tip about using reporting? - Not all the data correlates with what you see on other platforms. Be healthily skeptical.

4 Likes

Great topic!

How often do you run social reports?
We run reports monthly, quarterly & yearly

Do you use a tool or do you create your own reports?
We utilize Agorapulse (of course) & our own templates based on customer wants/needs that does a few things.

1. Reiterates our Core Objectives
  2. Key Community Management & Overall Performance Insights
  3. Top Performing Content (per platform)
  4. Overall Growth

Do you actually look at them?
Of course!

Do the results you see cause you to adjust your strategy?
Absolutely. One of if not THE main reason for reporting is to see just how your overall strategy played out over [insert time frame here] The only way to know that is with reporting & data. You then can see with real results what worked & did not work, allowing you to adjust your strategy based on results instead of guess work.

Do your clients care?
Interesting question actually. Some care very much & others not so much. The larger brands we work with care very much & we have monthly calls to go over just the reporting, strategy, etc. Whereas the smaller, locally focused brands are happy to not have to worry about their social media but still see the results.

What’s their biggest focus?
With ALL of our customers, in the beginning there are Goals, Objectives, KPI’s, etc. put in place in our social media marketing plan. Without setting & knowing what each of these represents, it’s very difficult to know what’s working simply by running reports. The data would almost mean nothing without the aforementioned plan in place.

What’s your biggest tip about using reporting?
My biggest tip is to educate your customer on what the reporting is going to cover based on any Goals, KPI’s etc. that have already been laid out before you began. Most brands want to see something they can clearly understand & can relate back to what was promised. Going “over the top” with reporting just to try & prove something can be very confusing to many who have never seen social media reporting before.

4 Likes

Loved reading your answers!!! Thanks for such a great share @BizPaul! Would love to see an example of an interpretation when you get a chance!

2 Likes

He delivers them via interpretive dance, sent via TikTok DMs.

2 Likes

As a social media nerd, I tend to run social media reports for my clients every month. I personally like to provide data monthly because it allows me to see if the strategy is working or not. As social is changing constantly monthly reporting allows us to pivot quickly if needed when developing the strategy for the upcoming months.

The Wholesome team has built a customized form that we input data into when sending to clients. However, we use the Agorapulse data reports to understand what is happening with our strategies.

We did find out something interesting when we sent just the reports over in an email… our clients weren’t looking at them. However, once we pulled the data from the reports, they started to engage and asks questions more. Is this something that this community has seen? Maybe all the numbers and words scare them?

My biggest tip for using reporting is USE the data to develop insightful points. Don’t just look at the basic numbers. Dive deep and attempt to understand why the data is telling you things. Then use that information to make adjustments in your strategies.

5 Likes

Good point, @linaburgjeremy—people often ignore a page full of numbers, but will be more interested in what they MEAN. Do you interpret it for them (like @BizPaul mentioned), or do you just add words around the numbers to explain?

3 Likes

Hey @linaburgjeremy Yes. I have seen some customers who are just overwhelmed with some aspects of deep dive type social media reporting They don’t understand what they’re looking at and feel intimidated or even made to feel dumb because they don’t know what something means.

In our reporting, we label pretty much everything when it relates to actual data/numbers. As an example, when we lay out the growth from month-to-month, each section is labeled like this:

• Total Reach - The number of people your posts have reached overall
  • Post Engagement - The number of times people interacted with your content via Comments, Likes & Shares

I’ve found providing this even basic information can go a long way in helping them to understand exactly what they’re looking at on our reports. Part of our job is to be educators to the brands we work with.

5 Likes

Totally agree with the labeling of even basic information…even as the social media manager I’m not a huge numbers person and am much more visual. SO having things defined helps me remember what is what!

3 Likes

Loving this discussion…would love to hear a couple of scenarios or examples of exactly you how explain things or add insights @EddieGarrison @linaburgjeremy @BizPaul

1 Like

When we built the model, I wasn’t running Wholesome full time. So, we created a few bullet points that explained what was going on and how we can improve next month. However, since this is my full time gig now, my goal is to have a monthly meeting with each client I manage and explain to them what the data is saying and the insights we are making based on that data. We are building this out for all of our account managers as well.

3 Likes

Eddie this is a great point! Thank you so much for sharing. We will totally be implementing this into our upcoming data reports.

One thing that we were doing which helped a lot was when we sent the report over, we were doing 2 minute videos that gave them a run down in audio form as well. They seemed to like that! Plus, I am way better at speaking how I am feeling then trying to write it anyway hah.

5 Likes

Here is an example of how we format some of our Facebook data. At the end of the report we talk about how to use this data to better understand the impacts of each social media post.

5 Likes

LOVE this visual thanks for sharing!

1 Like

think your clients will really find your video idea useful!

3 Likes

Great Topic. Currently, I’m in the Academy refreshing the Business Building Modules and in Module 2 there is a training called - Matching Client Expectations to Report Types. I’ve been talking about this for years in the School - and it’s SO important to get right so your clients are happy. Some, like mentioned earlier just don’t care for reports. Some want all the details (rare in my experience). And I know most social media managers are way more excited and interested in data than their clients are. You really need to deeply understand your client’s goals and hidden expectations to craft a report that is well-received and appreciated. Seriously, I could chat about this for an hour. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@phylliskhare this is a fantastic response! I love your point about understanding the clients goals and hidden expectations. If you don’t understand those, then the data won’t help you create impactful insights anyway. I don’t mind chatting hours on this! I am a nerd for social media and marketing.

3 Likes

This is true!

3 Likes

It’s actually both true and funny that we as SMM’s care more about the data and numbers than the customer. The funny part is that if those numbers drop, that’s when the customer starts to care about them :rofl: :smiley: Yet they never seemed to take an interest in them before.

1 Like

We include social media but it’s wrapped up in our overall multitouch attribution reports. Our clients tend to ask for a comprehensive picture.

3 Likes