Let's Chat: If you could change one thing about being a Social Media Manager

If you could change one thing about being a social media manager…what would it be? Why?

2 Likes

If I could change one thing about being a social media manager it would be the perception of what we actually do. There is too much misinformation circulating around that businesses take as being what our job actually entails.

I see SMM job listings all the time that are looking for an entire team, not one person. However, they expect that one person, a “social media manager” to do the work of six people for the pay of less than one.

7 Likes

Yes! Agreed Eddie. I’ve been in the social media since forever, and had you told me in 2008 that we’d still be dealing with the same…uh, stuff, I’d not have believed you, but here we are. ;/

2 Likes

That’s unfortunately true I’m afraid. And it doesn’t look to go away anytime soon either. People honestly still think an intern, their neighbor’s kid or receptionist can “just manage social media” for them because, how hard could it be, right? 15-20 minutes a day should do it :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

100%. I also agree its not likely to change any time soon. ;/

2 Likes

A better way to completely log off. You have to have a Facebook profile to manage business pages and for the majority of us, we have to actively set up barriers.

5 Likes

If I could change one thing it would be not having to ‘justify’ my rates, not just to potential clients, but to other SMMs too!

I have scaled in the last few years and while I still do SMM, I also do strategy and coaching. Globally SMM make anywhere from $2/hour to $500+/hour. Because we can work from anywhere and with anyone, the lines get blurred of what to charge. I’ve gotten the stink-eye more than once. :joy:

5 Likes

LOL @dorien YES! I know that look all too well. It’s funny. Some brands have no issue paying $2,000+ per month for social media management, while others balk at $500 per month. And it doesn’t matter if it’s a local mom & pop business or a huge franchise business.

I’ve had an international franchise straight up tell me in a video call that what I was asking for was ridiculous for “just social media”. Then call me back seven months later asking if we could talk again because the cheaper agency/person they went with failed to deliver on anything they promised. Go figure :roll_eyes:

I’ve also had a local restaurant here in Orlando not blink an eye at $2,000+ a month due to, and I quote, “I have no idea what I’m doing or what we need. I don’t have time for this sh*t and I just need to know I can trust who’s doing it with our best interests in mind”.

4 Likes

It’s a jungle out there @EddieGarrison :sweat_smile::deciduous_tree:

2 Likes

I’ve got a restaurant client too @eddie and he does social just so it happens. He doesn’t care about what we post and all the details. BUT he really saw the value during the pandemic because he could reach out to his customers through his Facebook posts.

2 Likes

Such a pain!!! At least with IG we can multiple client accounts now!

1 Like

SAME @deb In Orlando where I live, restaurants never really “closed” down. They were able to do carry out only for a short time before reopening to guests. Had we not consistently posted that their customers could order online & pick it up at their location, they would not have made it through that period.

2 Likes

A very strange jungle @dorien :laughing: :roll_eyes: :laughing: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The one thing that I would change, or would like to change, is the ability to actually be able to speak to someone involved with customer service at the social media platforms.
Apart from YouTube, the others are an embarrassing farce.

4 Likes

Saw this anonymous article that’s making the rounds, and it made me think about this discussion!

Some highlights from the piece:

• "Social media managers are wildly underpaid. A lot of brands kind of treat it as still a new profession when it’s not. It’s been around for over 12 years, at least…A lot of people think that’s just coming up with tweets, which doesn’t sound very hard and shouldn’t be paid very well…But that’s not usually what we do. We’re producers for graphic designers. We’re creatives. We have to come up with a lot of the content ideas. We have to collaborate with clients. We have to kind of just have our finger on the pulse of pop culture. There’s a lot that goes into it and a lot of brands just kind of make you do a million things for like no money. "

• “Social media is kind of like a 24/7 gig.”

• "I wish there was some help…You should at least have an intern, you should have an assistant, you should have a graphic designer. We should have a structure. "

• “[Brand marketers] need to understand the social media landscape and how things go viral. They just hear the word viral from their kids. They don’t know what that means…They ask too much of social media managers. Making something go viral is very difficult.”

• “…right now you’re expected to know every trend. I think it’s honestly a young person’s game.”

Personally, I only lasted about a year as a full-time SMM posting for clients before I burned out on it and moved to strategic consulting instead. It’s a tough job!!!

2 Likes

Burnout is real! And it happens often, whether or not I take time to truly disconnect or “walk away.” While I do love a lot of aspects of working in social, I have definitely been thinking about what I’ll do next and when.

2 Likes

I am with you there, @EddieGarrison ! That’s why I don’t do it anymore. It was so hard to get paid a decent wage for making such a huge difference to clients’ income!

1 Like