Let's Chat: If you could change one thing about being a Social Media Manager

If you could change one thing about being a social media manager…what would it be? Why?

2 Likes

If I could change one thing about being a social media manager it would be the perception of what we actually do. There is too much misinformation circulating around that businesses take as being what our job actually entails.

I see SMM job listings all the time that are looking for an entire team, not one person. However, they expect that one person, a “social media manager” to do the work of six people for the pay of less than one.

4 Likes

Yes! Agreed Eddie. I’ve been in the social media since forever, and had you told me in 2008 that we’d still be dealing with the same…uh, stuff, I’d not have believed you, but here we are. ;/

1 Like

That’s unfortunately true I’m afraid. And it doesn’t look to go away anytime soon either. People honestly still think an intern, their neighbor’s kid or receptionist can “just manage social media” for them because, how hard could it be, right? 15-20 minutes a day should do it :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

100%. I also agree its not likely to change any time soon. ;/

1 Like

A better way to completely log off. You have to have a Facebook profile to manage business pages and for the majority of us, we have to actively set up barriers.

2 Likes

If I could change one thing it would be not having to ‘justify’ my rates, not just to potential clients, but to other SMMs too!

I have scaled in the last few years and while I still do SMM, I also do strategy and coaching. Globally SMM make anywhere from $2/hour to $500+/hour. Because we can work from anywhere and with anyone, the lines get blurred of what to charge. I’ve gotten the stink-eye more than once. :joy: