Legal Questions? I'm here for the community!

Have a legal question about social media, web3, AI or the metaverse? I enjoy sharing 30+ years of legal, tech and mediation experience with my communities. Fire away! :grinning:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Mitch! Looking forward to seeing your perspective on the many topics we will talk about in the future.

It’s good to be here. I’m looking forward to helping and adding value. How long has the new AgoraPulse community been active?

1 Like

I believe the community is 1 yr and 7 months old

1 Like

Hey @mitchjackson thanks for joining us! Great to see you here! Honored to have you offer your well-known legal mind! :rocket:

Hello Mitch, thank you for offering your expertise and your time.

I would like to know how far does copyright protection extend on new products that I want to create which I would then post on social media such as Pinterest for greater marketing exposure. Case in point, if I create a design on the subject of Harry Potter series, but I do not actually use the copyrighted HP logo or HP images, I just say “inspired by Harry Potter” in the title, or I use only inference to HP, am I within safe limits?

I also heard that phrases like “happy camper” are copyrighted. How can two very common ordinary words be copyrighted? That to me is insane. What could happen if I print that on a Tshirt for example?

Again, thank you.

Well this was a complete waste of time

If you’re referring to me Hana, I’m sorry. This slipped through the cracks (back to back trials just before the end of a busy year). Although no legal advice is being given, my initial thoughts without seeing any of the items you reference is that you probably would find yourself in the grey area of US and International copyright laws which is not a good place to be. Is there sufficient transformation? Is your item original an unique? Does it fall under fair use? Most of the time we counsel clients not to take other people’s ideas to create their own items, products or service. Bottom line, even if you don’t violate the HP copyright, it may costs you a lot of time and money to prove you were in the right. As for common words being copyrighted, it happens all the time. You can’t use a copyrighted word or term on a shirt. Also see my recent “Right of Publicity” which raises related legal issues. This response does not allow for links so go to MitchJackson dot com and use the search feature. Hope this helps. ~Mitch

1 Like

My apologies for helping to tag Mitch @artdragon. I hope his answer today helps!

Yes, this helps, thank you

1 Like