🎥 Janine Coombes on Creating The Right Offerings

Janine Coombes

Janine Coombes helps service-based business owners position their services as must-haves in the eyes of their dream clients.

We caught up with Janine at #KickstartDublin and asked her what common mistakes people make with their offerings, how to put together an offering that people really want, and how to figure out pricing for those offerings.

Find Janine at https://www.JanineCoombes.co.uk

Give the people what they want

The thing that I see time and time again is selling what people need, not what they want.

People don’t need to be lectured, or rather they don’t want to be lectured. If they feel like you’re just telling them a list of things that they need to do, they will switch off and they won’t listen. And they also will miss the fact that you’re the ideal person for them.

When you position it as what they want in the language that they would use with a friend—or with you in a casual setting—then you will show them that you understand where they’re coming from, you understand what they’re struggling with, and that you’re the right person to help them.

Research

The best thing you can do if you are thinking about a new service that you’re trying to put together, or even a service that you know is wonderful, but it’s just not selling that well, is do some research.

And it sounds really tedious, and I do it myself—I come across this and I think, “Oh, I’ve got this new thing to do and I need to do some research,” and I don’t want to do it because it feels really time-consuming—but I promise you it will be worth it.

Get three or four people—the type of people you think look like your dream client—on Zoom, record with their permission, and ask them some very open-ended questions about what they’re trying to achieve, what’s stopping them from getting there, if you could wave a magic wand, how would their life be different, what would they be able to do, that kind of thing—really open-ended questions and just prompt them so that they get to the point where they’re rambling. When I’m doing my research and people say, “Oh, sorry, I’m rambling,” I love that because that is where the gold comes out.

So that’s what I’d recommend you do. Open-ended questions. Obviously, asking questions in relation to what you’re providing for them and what problems you’re trying to resolve.

Make those notes because your clients or your potential clients on those calls will come out with phrases you couldn’t have possibly have come up with yourself. And when you use those phrases and words in your copy, your ideal clients will resonate with them and they’ll think, “Oh my gosh, this person knows me inside and out, and therefore they’re the right person to help me with this problem.”

Pricing

What I would recommend when you’re tackling your pricing—because it is a bit of a sticky one, people do get the knickers in a twist with it—is to follow my three-piece process.

1. Promise

What are you promising to deliver?

Not literally. But in an ideal world, what would you promise your client that you would help them with?

When you have that messaging nailed—after you’ve done the research like I asked you to do—your ideal clients will resonate with it. You will feel the energy, you’ll feel the shift, and you’ll know that people really want it.

2. Package

This is what you’re actually doing to help them get from A to B how you’re helping them get to their ideal solution.

What I would recommend to do—and what I do recommend my clients always to do—is write down absolutely every little thing that you need to do to get them from A to B, every little bit of training that you’re drawing on and experience, the apps that you might use, the processes you might use, the method you might have made yourself, drawn out yourself. Write it all down.

3. Pricing

Don’t price it by hour or by time or by how much you think you’re worth—I think that’s a little bit of a red herring, too—price it based on the value that you’re delivering. How much is somebody going to pay for a complete resolution to this problem they’ve got? And then you will feel much more confident in your pricing.

Janine Coombes @janine
I’m a marketing consultant for service based business owners, focusing on the creation and positioning of high value offers.

Tell Us Below:

How do you come up with your offerings?

1 Like