🎥 Ian Anderson Gray on Confident Live Video

Ian Anderson Gray

Ian Anderson Gray helps entrepreneurs level up their impact, authority, and profits through confident live video.

We caught up with Ian at #kickstart-dublin and asked him what he’d say to someone terrified to go live, what makes a good live video, and how to make sure your live stream is a success.

Find Ian at iag.me

I totally get why live video is a really scary thing, because I’ve been there. The first time I went live, I was absolutely petrified! But over time, you realize that that fear that you have can be transformed into energy in front of the camera. It also shows that you really care as well.

It’s all about being yourself; people really love seeing the real person behind the camera, not hundreds of takes before you get to perfect. So don’t worry about making mistakes; embrace those mistakes! In fact, you can even take some of those stumbles and those weird things that you say and turn them into outtakes. So don’t worry about that, because people will love that.

Over time, the live video will turn from being really not that great to much, much better—and over time, it will get better and better and better. So turn that nervous energy into excitement, embrace who you are, people will love it.

And of course, the final thing is: Plan! Don’t just press “go live” and expect good things to come out of your head, because what will probably happen is your brain will turn to mush. So make sure that you plan, you structure, you know what you’re going to say, and enjoy it!

What makes a good live video? I think it depends on why you’re doing it.

For me, I’m doing it because I want to create content. I’m a recovering perfectionist, and so pressing that go live button allows me to create content without that blockage.

But it’s also about community. So don’t just press the go live button and get on with your content, and forget about the people who are watching you live. They are spending that time with you now. So engage with them: if they’re asking you a question, answer that question. Ask them questions!

So it’s getting that perfect balance between your live audience, your replay audience, and the repurposed audience, or the people who are engaging with maybe the podcast or the blog post that you’re creating from that as well. So I think it’s getting that balance.

And really, have fun with it! Don’t be boring, don’t be serious, have some fun because one of the worst types of live video that I’ve seen are the really, really boring ones, so don’t do that.

Ian Anderson Gray’s “Five Ps” of live video

1. Planning

Make sure you plan your live videos!

2. Pre-Promotion

Use a social media management tool like Agorapulse and use email marketing to get the message out there so that people are actually going to watch your live video.

3. Production

The day that you’re going to actually go live, put everything in place, get the tech right.

4. Post-Promote

Once you’ve gone live and you press the End Broadcast button—no, it’s not time to go to bed and have a rest! Use the social media management tool again and get the message out for the replay.

5. re-Purposing

(I’m kind of cheating with the P there, but it is in there somewhere…)

This is the bit that I get really excited about, and that is turning your live video into a content repurposing engine! You can turn it into podcasts, into blog posts, into social media snippets, into videos, so that you can create all this other content for different audiences around the interwebs and social media.

Ian Anderson Gray @ian
I’m the founder of the Confident Live Marketing Academy and the host of the Confident Live Marketing Podcast. I help entrepreneurs level up their impact, authority and profits by using live video.

Tell Us Below:

Do you live stream?

If so, how do you prepare?

If not, what’s holding you back?

3 Likes

@ian I livestream twice a week now. I did it for a client every single week for nearly 4 years before I started my own show. :sweat_smile: I was not afraid to be on camera, but I was confused about the topic of the show and if I could fill the guest slots. I interviewed a podcaster who told me to book 12-20 spots ahead of time as to guarantee I’d record at least that many episodes! And I worked like a charm. It’s the end of May and I am booked into September!

3 Likes

I normally book for my own show months in advance—but I’ve been so distracted by, well, THIS, that now I’m limping week to week! I take an August hiatus so maybe I’ll be better for booking the fall…

1 Like