How To Navigate Imposter Syndrome While Developing A Public Profile (Bri Seeley)

Bri Seeley

Have you ever felt like a fake or felt insecure about your skills, knowledge or professionalism?

You may be experiencing imposter syndrome.

What is imposter syndrome? Wikipedia defines it as “a psychological occurrence in which an individual doubts their skills, talents, or accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a fraud”

While imposter syndrome isn’t new, the number of searches in Google US for imposter syndrome rose by 1111% between January 2016 and March 2022.

More and more people are realizing that this phenomenon is holding them back—which is especially true for entrepreneurs who are wanting to develop a public profile.

Here are three things to do to learn how to navigate imposter syndrome so it can stop holding you back.

Shift your mindset

Most people perceive imposter syndrome to be a bad thing, but I actually see it as a good sign. Have you ever noticed that when you’re watching Netflix or walking your dog, your inner imposter is quiet?

I use my inner imposter to remind me that what I’m creating in the world is important. It’s so important that part of my psyche thinks it’s dangerous and wants to protect me from the potential future harm it could do me.

In addition to shifting your mindset here, it’s also crucial for you to soothe yourself to remember that being visible is not actually dangerous. You’ll want to continue calming your nervous system to train it to know that having a public profile is safe and you don’t need your imposter syndrome to protect you from it.

Start looking for proof of the opposite

As humans, we tend to believe everything we think. The truth is, our thoughts aren’t always factual. Which is great news because when we think something which is untrue, we have the opportunity to gather proof to disprove the thought.

This process takes a lot of awareness because we must first catch the untrue thought in order to prove it wrong. But when you can slow down your thoughts and begin to question the validity of them, it will begin to become a habit that gets easier and easier.

One recommendation I have is to create “proof folders” on all of your devices. Screen grab or download this proof anytime you receive it, and squirrel it away into your “proof folders” to use as ammo to disprove your untrue thoughts.

Practice the opposite of imposter syndrome

If you didn’t experience imposter syndrome, what would you think each day? What would you believe about yourself? How would you act? What would you say?

The only thing separating you from that imposter-less future self of yours is simply a bit of time and practice. If you know how your future self thinks, believes, and acts, you get the opportunity to begin thinking, believing, and acting in those ways now. You don’t have to wait for your future to become that person.

Imposter syndrome may have become more prevalent, but it’s not unmanageable. By starting to shift your mindset, prove it wrong and practice being your future self, you will be able to continue moving forward with developing your public profile without your imposter holding you back.

Bri Seeley @bri
:point_right:t2:The Entrepreneur Coach
:money_mouth_face:I work w/ aspiring Millionaire$$ womxn to accelerate their destiny.
:rocket:Long-term, sustainable success - on your terms!
:notebook:Access my free resources: Free Resources | Bri Seeley - The Entrepreneur Coach
TikTok: TikTok

Tell Us Below:

How do you prevent imposter syndrome from holding you back?