How I Use Zapier To Save Up To 10 Hours Per Month (Fab Giovanetti)

Fab Giovanetti

Do you know where your time goes every single week?

I mean, really?

As marketers, we usually leap from one task to the next, wearing four different hats at any given time.

One of the biggest enemies of marketers is repetition and lack of streamlined systems. In fact, it’s what our certification students at Alt Marketing School deem the number one obstacle to being more efficient and seeing results in their day-to-day.

There are loads of automations that you can set up to make your day-to-day workload work for you. First, however, I wanted to give you an idea of some areas to look into and practical hacks that can work.

To do that, I decided to pick one of my favorite platforms to create automations: Zapier.

The platform allows you to set a trigger that will then lead you to a specific action, and with 2,000+ automations, or “zaps” as they’re called, the possibilities are almost endless.

During my research for the 3-step method I outlined in my second book, Reclaim Your Time Off, I discovered that 40% of workers spend a quarter of their weeks on repetitive tasks.

So if you struggle with recurring tasks filling your day, Zapier is a great alternative to connect different platforms you use seamlessly.

Zapier is often used to optimize recurring marketing tasks. From social media posting to curating ideas and reporting, repetitive tasks seem to be a huge part of the day-to-day for social media managers.

The areas I outlined as most challenging include social media, lead generation, and data entry.

Still, your job is not all about crafting the best next meme.

If communication and admin are piling up for you, we’ll explore ways Zapier can help you streamline your emails, add leads into specific funnels, and seamlessly promote your latest content.

Ten Zapier automations to reclaim time

For each automation I recommend a handful of platforms. You can use an alternative to any of the below; as long as Zapier supports it, you can easily swap them!

Automation One: Automatically push your latest blog posts and podcasts to a specific social network or scheduling program

I love to combine both promoting on social and pushing the same content to Buffer to encourage reshaping evergreen content. We do this with the Alt Marketing podcast episodes to the different channels (including Buffer).

It allows the latest content to be pushed seamlessly at least once, after which I may share natively with extra mentions and comments.

Platforms to connect: RSS feed | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Buffer

Automation Two: Automatically push your latest blog posts and podcasts to a spreadsheet

I am a big lover of creating a simple backlog for my latest content. With Zapier, I do not have to worry about scouting for the latest pieces from Medium or WordPress. Instead, each piece lands into a spreadsheet for the team to sort manually.

I currently use one of our Notion templates to keep track of content backlogs, but you can easily use Google sheets if easier to set up.

Platforms to connect: RSS feed | Google Spreadsheets | Notion

Automation Three: Create your own personal CRM

Not a fan of paid CRMs? No problem. You can set up a Zap that sends all information to a Google Sheet (or your Notion CRM), where you have all the information about the people who get in touch with you as potential clients.

This database can help you build a buyer persona and build strategies. I prefer Notion because of the filtering options, but whatever floats your boat!

Platforms to connect: Typeform | SurveyMonkey | Google Sheets | Notion

Automation Four: Add a new lead to your newsletter through a form

I use Formaloo (similar to Typeform) to collect data, especially during our annual positive impact marketing report.

Based on some conditions, people who enter our research survey will be added to our newsletter if they opt in via a specific field.

With this automation, we do not have to import and export manually, as everything happens seamlessly. You could do that for free quizzes, qualified leads, and more.

Platforms to connect: Typeform | Formaloo | Active Campaign | ConvertKit

Automation Five: Turn form responses into a document

Back to forms, another handy way to save you some note-taking hours when gathering data. A favorite of mine can work well for interviews, podcast show notes, and even new client questionnaires.

Take the answers from a form and turn them into one document that you can edit, comment on, or update accordingly.

Platforms to connect: Typeform | Google Docs | Notion

Automation Six: Curate content through RSS feeds or sheets

Whether you want to repurpose your content or curate other people’s, I am a massive fan of using RSS feeds.

We personally use the RSS feed from leading social media news websites to collect the best social media news inside our self-paced course library and community.

You can even use a similar principle to automate questions and prompts using a Google sheet instead.

Platforms to connect: Zapier RSS app | Google sheet

Automation Seven: Welcome new members to a platform

On top of RSS, our self-paced course library uses a few handy automations to connect Heartbeat (our community platform) to ConvertKit.

You can virtually use any community-based platform to communicate with your email provider and send them into tailored automation to welcome new members.

The best part is that you can send a specific message with their first name. This touchpoint is more unique and fun than just the welcome orientation email.

In addition, you can use Zapier to notify your team members on Slack when someone has requested a free trial or has applied for a specific program or mentorship to track and enable the team to follow up with the individual leads.

Platforms to connect: Mighty Networks | Circle | Heartbeat | Teachable | ConvertKit | Active Campaign

Automation Eight: Email a member who cancelled

Another excellent automation allows us to email members who cancelled their membership with a similar principle outlined in the automation above.

This is often something platforms do not offer, so I love getting a unique trigger that notifies us and sends a survey to the member!

Platforms to connect: Mighty Networks | Circle | Heartbeat | Teachable | ConvertKit | Active Campaign

Automation Nine: Send podcast reminders

Five or six things must happen across the podcast’s onboarding process whenever a guest is invited to speak on the podcast.

We automated as many of these activities as possible through Google Drive, Gmail, and templates. For Alt Marketing School, we automated various emails, including a reminder the day before the interview and a reminder to send their bios and headshot if they haven’t already.

Once the interview is completed, the guest is sent a thank you email.

Platforms to connect: Google Sheets | Google Drive | Dropbox | Gmail

Automation Ten: Send leads follow-up emails

If you are not looking to splash out on a platform like ActiveCampaign, you can use Zaps to help you keep track of leads without outsourcing to a CRM.

For example, for Alt Marketing School’s student flow, we connect leads from our course provider into a Notion spreadsheet to keep track of communication. An additional step in the Zaps will allow us to set conditions that can automatically follow up if the lead has not booked a call.

Platforms to connect: Gmail | Notion | Typeform | SurveyMonkey

How Zapier can help you be more efficient as a social media marketer

These days, many platforms might have some of these automations and connections themselves.

However, if that is impossible, Zapier has become the number one integration to help you set up powerful workflows to reclaim your time and focus on work that truly lights you up.

Hopefully, I inspired you to look at your current workload and tasks and assess how you can use Zapier and automations to simplify some of these processes for yourself.

Zapier has helped me reclaim my time and given me back hours in my day to run an online school and still enjoy life outside of work!

If you’re a social media manager or spend significant time on social media for work, I urge you to try out Zapier and see how it can help you. You may find some extra time on your hands each month!

Fab Giovanetti @fab
Fab Giovanetti is an award-winning author, entrepreneur, and marketing consultant helping busy professionals reclaim their time. She is the CEO of Alt Marketing School.

Tell Us Below:

Do you use any automations between programs?