How do you deal with on-demand content requests?

Hi everyone! I hope this is the right place to ask this, but I’m curious to know how other social media managers deal with clients that don’t still to your content creation schedule.
I create content for my clients one week in advance, but I have one client that just does not respect that. It’s my fault for not setting the boundary at the beginning, so I will have a chat with them, but I’m wondering if other people charge more for on-demand content?
For example, if a client is attending a conference and wants you to post things in real-time, how do you handle that? Do you even offer that service?

Appreciate any advice! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have done real time posting but it was a separate service and well planned (i actually had a team working with me as it was over several days) . Make it clear in your initial quote/contract what is included.

Give options for extras but set boundaries (like must be booked in advance - and service may not be available. You could also set up a booking calendar so that she can only book you if you have availability- that way you can block off time
etc or have minimum (can’t book less than 78hrs ahead etc)

Folk will always try and get a little more (i’m always giving extra time when i shouldn’t ) but you do have to be careful of what is expected. I had one client that used to arrive from interstate without telling me and expect me to drop everything and her to her )an hour away) then would try and make me stay all day. Even though it was a high end package i ended up letting her go as it was just too stressful!

4 Likes

I agree 1,000% with everything @fiona1 already said. Setting boundaries & expectations in the beginning is paramount for avoiding this. Unfortunately, when you give an inch, people will ultimately take or expect a mile.

3 Likes

First…Community Chat is exactly the right spot to post this @awilson! Keep the questions coming! We are here to actively discuss all things social media managers care about! :tada:

I’ve worked multiple ways. I prefer to work out content 1 month in advance and that’s how I propose projects. However, I always say something about out-of-scope work will be billed at $XX per hour and will be pre-approved by the client. THEN this gives me the option to tell the client that anything that doesn’t come in the normal work…it’s an add-on.

This works great for special events. They don’t want to pay a higher rate all the time to have flexibility but most clients can and are willing to add to the budget for something like a conference or fundraiser where more of my attention is required. Usually, this happens once or twice a year.

You can go back to your client and let them know you are restructuring your social media packages and you know they value the ability to have on-demand content. Then offer them a couple options. 1 being something close to what they have then another that is more $ but with slightly more on-demand then one that is $$$ but very very on-demand responsive.

Hope this helps. I know @phylliskhare and @lee have worked with different types of clients so they might have something to add.

5 Likes

It’s a super good lesson in how to structure your proposals and contracts going forward. You might end up dropping this client that doesn’t treat you well. And when you do, find another that will.

In my case, I charge a monthly retainer and manage all the tasks we have currently running. Some months we have more and some months less, but I always bring my experience with me, so the fee is the same. I know this client well enough to anticipate projects coming up and will manage my time to be able to do those extra things and not be over stressed.

One of the hardest things to do is say no or I can’t this month to a favorite client so I do keep open time and space in my calendar for extra things. And if it is totally outside the retainer fee I charge a “Project Fee” – not an hourly fee (ever).

We have a lot of pricing and contracts coming up soon in the Academy @awilson – I’ll come back here and announce it when those go live.

4 Likes

That is so helpful @fiona1 thank you! I definitely have to figure out what that pricing structure should look like for last minute content or real time posting. The problem is when I plan ahead for their content, but then I don’t hear back until the day it’s supposed to go out, I have to drop everything else to get it done quickly, which is taking time away from my other clients. It’s so tough!

3 Likes

Love this! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! @phylliskhare that’s so helpful! I think that was my issue is that in the beginning I told them that while I plan content a week in advance, I understand when last minute things happen and can work within that. I didn’t expect they would be last minute every single day! The problem is they know it’s an issue as I’ve brought it up before, but nothing chnages. They say they are trying hard to change, but they are just so busy. It’s so hard because I want to help them out, I believe in their brand so much!
I would love it if you could let me know about the pricing and contracts info coming up, that would be sooo helpful! I’m really stuck in that department right now

3 Likes

This is a lesser talked about example of scope creep. As others have mentioned setting up expectations from the start is key. A great way to combat this is, “Hey my content creation process is done one week in advance, if you’re needing a quicker turnaround on hot items a price increase of $x will be added.” Totally up to you if you even want to give that option, but it always helps to realign expectations and has a financial consequence to scope creep. Usually, clients aren’t really trying to take advantage they just forget.

6 Likes

Totally!! This is so helpful Kevin, thank you!

4 Likes

A great example of languaging to use! Thanks for sharing @kberry

3 Likes