Hacked Facebook Account

One of my business owner friends here in Wichita has had her Facebook account hacked. (her personal profile, Facebook + Instagram) The hacker also attached themselves to her business’s Facebook account, and Facebook has reviewed and disabled her accounts, saying the decision cannot be reversed.

The hackers tried running an ad right before the account was disabled, but a screenshot that she sent me shows that the ad was denied. Since she’s completely been disabled and her account has shut down, the question is, is there really NO WAY to get it back, and a second question is this: could these people still be attached to her business’s account that she no longer has access to? Hoping someone in the community will know what to do. Tagging in @amanda and @lowell

1 Like

That’s a tough one. Really don’t have an answer for this. Very frustrating…
I would just watch the account and if you see anything else just try to contact facebook again. Don’t know what else to do. sorry.

1 Like

Thanks, friend. Yeah she’s pretty frustrated and I feel awful for her. Such an unsettling situation to be in. I remember back in the day a few of us had a specific link we used to get through to Facebook and I remember sharing it in SME’s Society pretty often, but I can’t for the life of me remember what that link was… likely doesn’t work that magic anymore anyway with the way things have changed so much over the past few years. I appreciate your input, Lowell. Hope you’re having a great week!

1 Like

they disabled that link I believe. It used to be you could go via your Facebook ad account to get someone to talk to. It’s not good enough that a hack like this can happen and the business owner can’t get it back. I mean we have to prove our business ownership etc. I would definitely try reaching through Facebook advertising again. Did she happen to have a backup of the page and her profile? Its highlighting the importance of having 2FA security and being so mindful of dodgy links in messenger etc. Not that helps now. But if she has backup at least some of the content will be saved… although if she lost all access then that may not help either. This happens way to often. According to Facebook they allow a year to try and confirm ownership. https://www.facebook.com/help/3434203120011796
I would keep reporting it also Report compromised account Can you still see the page?

1 Like

Thanks so much, Fiona. I went ahead and sent that link to her… not sure if she’s been through that process yet. I can still see her business’s facebook page, but her personal facebook account is disabled at this time.

1 Like

Its never good when the personal profile is gone but she may be able to prove ownership of the business. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

2 Likes