Get Hired with LinkedIn: Social Media Managers, Learn How to Position Yourself! (Viveka von Rosen)

Viveka von Rosen

As community and social media managers, what can you do to make your LinkedIn profile pop?

There are a few things that you may or may not know about that you can add to your LinkedIn profile to really take it to the next level. I want to make sure that you’ve got all of these features covered for yourself—and potentially for your team members as well.

The first thing is pretty obvious: that background image. But a lot of people a. think that the background image is one and done, and b. don’t use this background image to really let people know who they help and how they help them.

I’m not going to use my profile so much today because we’re actually launching some software and we’re driving investments for it, so I’m not doing my usual LinkedIn thing on LinkedIn, but this does showcase how you can still change up your profile to focus on whatever it is that you’re doing right now.

Viveka von Rosen's LinkedIn cover image

Maybe you’re launching a new initiative, have a new client that you want to focus on, or you’ve got a new product, service, or offer. It’s not one and done. Your LinkedIn profile is a living, breathing, vibrant piece of content.

Let me show you what some of my friends have done that are a little bit more aligned to what you might be doing:

Tina Corner Stolz's LinkedIn cover image

Here’s Tina. Now she’s got peer counsel groups, but she is still using her profile 100% to drive traffic to her service, which is actually helping people build communities. So she’s put her mission statement right on her background image: “Expand your network (and your net worth!) by following our proven framework for starting your own peer advisory group, with LXCouncil by your side the entire time ensuring your efforts result in success!”

Lori Gabriel Gama's LinkedIn cover image

My friend Lori Gama, who also helps people manage communities, is really marketing her whole marketing agency, which is focused a little bit more on individual businesses. So here we go: “Helping business owners achieve growth with SEO, Website Development, Social Media, and Google Ads.”

One thing I would recommend that you do—as she has—is that you might want to add any awards or certifications, or any logos of recognizable companies that you’ve worked with, to that background image as well. She’s also added her two websites, and I’m going to show you a little bit later where you can really help to continue to drive traffic to your websites with a new feature you might not even know about on LinkedIn.

Now, tied with that background image, right on the heat map: this is where people go first, then they go to your picture. You’ve probably seen some people have video on their LinkedIn profiles, and maybe you’ve even added your own. I call it the Harry Potter effect: you see me starting to talk.

Start your video with a logo, because it’ll show your picture and a logo. You might even put a CTA, like “Click here to see video.” Then you’ll still have about 20 to 25 seconds to give people your elevator speech.

I want you to be thinking about what you can do with your video. When people go to my profile, you can hear me say:

“What if I could save you an hour a day? What would you do with that hour? Write that book you’ve been meaning to write, or maybe work on yourself, or maybe work on your business, or create a new business? With FlyMSG, our auto text expander and virtual writing assistant on steroids, you can do just that. I’m Viveka von Rosen, co-founder of Vengreso. Check out the link to learn more.”

What you’ve got there is: who do I help, how do I help them, and then my CTA: “Check out the link to learn more.” Start pulling all of these things together.

Your video should be vertical. If you can get your logo up there, and your CTA to click to hear more, that might drive more people to click on that video, which is a 30-second, free piece of advertising. You can actually say quite a lot in 30 seconds!

Speaking of your mini elevator speech, let’s scroll down a little. Your headline is “Your Title at Company” in most cases—but, again, you’ve got 220 characters here to tell people who you help and how you help them.

Let’s look at Tina.

Tina Corner Stolz's LinkedIn headline

Who does Tina help? She helps entrepreneurs and CEOs share ideas, solve challenges, and grow together. She’s got additional CTAs to download the license partner roadmap—I will show you all how to get that link in just a few minutes—and she’s got another CTA: “Become an LXCouncil Licensed Partner.”

220 characters goes a long, long way. And this is the third thing that people look at on the heat maps. Anytime you engage on LinkedIn, send a private message, even comment on somebody else’s post, it’s going to pull in the front part of that headline. So you really want to talk more about who you help and how you help them, rather than your LinkedIn as a resume, which unfortunately is what most people have.

If you’re not looking for a job—if you’re looking for buyers of your service, if you’re looking for clients—you need to focus on the client, on the buyer, on the prospect, and not on yourself.

Let’s take a look at Lori’s.

Lori Gabriel Gama's LinkedIn headline

Lori helps owners of home services, HVAC, electrical pest control, and other family owned businesses do what? She helps them “double their business with SEO, website development, social media, Google Ads, and other digital marketing services.” This is really, really powerful.

I always say, “The riches are in the niches.” I don’t know who originally said that—not me!—but you really want to focus on a specific niche on LinkedIn. If you can pull that into your headline, that’s what you should be doing.

Don’t worry about helping everybody build a community—you want to help a very specific type of person or company or client build their communities, and you want to let people know what specific clients, communities, industries, etc. are, right in your headline section.

Once you have that, you’ve got 10 seconds to tell people who you help and how you help them–it’s actually for name pronunciation, but you can use it for your own message.

Let’s listen to Lori:

“Hi, I’m Lori Gama Gabriel. Want more visibility in Google? Contact me now to schedule a discovery session.”

Boom. 10 seconds.

Let’s go ahead and listen to mine:

“Hey, it’s Viveka von Rosen, co-founder of Vengreso. What would you do with an extra hour a day? Check out my profile to learn more about our productivity tool, FlyMSG.”

Where do you find your name, pronunciation, and your LinkedIn profile video? On your mobile app.

Go into your mobile app and tap on the top left hand side. To add your video, just click on your picture. You’ll have the option of shooting or uploading a vertical video. For your name pronunciation, for that ten-second elevator speech, you’ll actually have the opportunity to record. You can’t do it on desktop, you have to be on mobile—you can see it on desktop, but you have to be on mobile in order to record it.

So you’ve got your background image that grabs people’s attention. You’ve got your little video that plays–there’s about a 50% chance of people clicking on that, so you definitely want your message here in the headline section, echoed by your name pronunciation–and also, it’s a good thing if you’ve got a hard name like mine to tell people how to say your name–but you’ve got 10 seconds, so you’ve got more that you can do with that.

In many cases—you’ve seen Tina and me do it—we’ve got that call to action to click on the link below. So how do you get this link? Right here in the intro section, if you click on that pen and scroll to the bottom, you’ll see the ability to add a website link. This is not your contact info, where you can add up to three website links; this is a different website link that shows up right on your profile.

If you don’t have that option, it’s probably because Creator Mode has not been turned on, so just go down to Resources and turn Creator Mode on. Creator Mode will turn your Connect button into a Follow button, which is great, because you can have 50, 60, 70, 90, 110,000, 2 million, 50 billion—okay, maybe not 50 billion, but you can have an endless amount of followers, but you can only have 30,000 connections. So that’s another reason why I think Creator Mode is great. But if you like having the Connect button there, just know people can still connect with you by clicking on More. And once you get your link, you just go to Creator Mode and turn it off if you want to.

The next step is that you want to share helpful, useful, valuable content to your audience, and you want them to follow you. So obviously having the Follow button is helpful, but if we were connected and you went to my profile, you’d see a little bell. If you click on that, not only are you notified of my content earlier than other people, you will also get an email that I’ve shared content, so you want people to ring your bell. So I would just put a little “Ring my bell!” on my background image as well.

Make sure that your LinkedIn profile is top notch so you can showcase your creativity, showcase your social media and community savvy, build credibility, and build that “know, like, and trust” factor with your LinkedIn profile.

Viveka von Rosen @viveka
I am the Co-Founder and Chief Visibility Officer of Vengreso Known as the @LinkedInExpert, I also helped create FlyMSG.io, an auto text expander and virtual writing assistant. (on steroids!)

Tell Us Below:

Are you making full use of all of these opportunities on your LinkedIn profile to communicate who you are, what you do, and for whom?

1 Like

Thank you for the awesome tips Viveka! I was just about to write that I couldn’t find the add Video option, but then you told me right where it was! I was looking at the website version originally. A bit strange in my opinion not to allow it on the desktop version…

I do have the option for that CTA but I don’t really have anywhere to send them to :grimacing: :grimacing: unless I change my mind on blending my gaming and IRL names.

I’ve definitely put in some time to add a linkedin header after YEARS.

1 Like