🎥⭐️ FAQ: What's Different About Google Analytics 4? (Christopher S. Penn)

Christopher S. Penn

In this FAQs series, data & analytics expert Christopher s. Penn answers our burning questions about all things analytics.

Google Analytics 4 is a completely different piece of software.

Google Analytics 4 is actually based on Google’s Firebase mobile analytics app. Google Analytics 4 changes how we measure everything to assume a mobile-first, event-driven world that makes the things that you do–tapping on an app, scrolling, etc.–available to marketers.

Google Analytics 4 also splits up the architecture of Google Analytics into different pieces, each of which you should build up your familiarity with if you haven’t already: you will now use Google Tag Manager for tracking tags, and you’ll build reports in Google Data Studio.

Google Analytics 4 is primarily a business intelligence tool intended to do analysis and deep explorations of your data. Use its machine learning capabilities to identify anomalies, use its imputation abilities to deal with lost and missing data, and so on.

For social media marketers, it’s relearning what analytics is about.

It’s not just for web analytics: Google Analytics 4 also allows you to incorporate your data streams from your iOS app, Android app, from PWAs; anywhere you have a digital presence on a property you own, you can measure it, track it, and report on it with the Google Analytics 4 suite.

It’s really important to understand how this tool works. Take a lot of time to understand what’s new: for example, Goals and now called Conversions, and they’re handled very differently. Setting goal values is now handled in Tag Manager. There’s a whole long list. You really do need to relearn it from the ground up.

Christopher Penn @cspenn
:star2: Social Media Advisory Board Member
Co-founder of Trust Analytics.

1 Like

@cspenn Thanks for the intel! As much as I love content, data is something I appreciate, too. I do think I need to outsource this. :grimacing::sweat_smile:

1 Like

A lot of people are reaching that point nowadays. Especially since there’s an issue - your data doesn’t move over, which means that as of right now, a lot of folks will be missing a couple of months of year over year data next year.

1 Like