🎥.⭐️ FAQ: Creating An Influencer Agreement (Mike Allton)

Influencer marketing expert Mike Allton tells us how to properly assemble a brand partnership agreement.

So, the first presupposition here is that there is an agreement between your brand and every influencer you’re working with.

There absolutely has to be an agreement. There has to be understanding on both sides: this is what we’re going to do; these are the expectations; this is the time frame. Even if there’s no money changing hands.

A lot of people think, “Well, I’m not paying them—or I’m not paying them a lot—so maybe I don’t need an agreement.” You do.

So, once you’ve gotten over that hump, the first thing you can do to make this easy on yourself is to go to Google and search for a template. Do take the time to customize it—don’t just hand a template to somebody else—but start there; you don’t have to start from scratch.

That agreement needs to indicate what specifically the influencer is committing to do and when, as well as what you’re committing to do on the brand side.

Maybe you’re giving them cash to share something on social media, or to create a piece of content—but there’s going to be more to it than that. The more that you outline it in the agreement, the more clear everyone’s going to be.

For instance, if I’m working with a specific influencer and I’m asking them to talk about a new Agorapulse feature, inherent in that agreement is that I have to give them access to that feature and I have to be accessible to provide them with screenshots, documentation, product support—anything they might need to do their job. I need to make it clear to them that I’m committed to doing that; I’m saying, “I, Mike Allton, am going to make sure that you have everything you need by this date, so that you know going into the agreement that you’re going to have everything you need, you’re going to be supported—and that if these things don’t happen, if I don’t get you everything you need by such-and-such a date, we’ll adjust the timeframe so that you’re not stressed or feel like you’re not getting what you need.”

Remember: any kind of influencer marketing is relationship marketing. We have to protect that relationship between the brand and the influencer, and that means making sure that we have expectations and we can support each other.

Mike Allton @mike.allton
:star2: Social Media Advisory Board Member
Mike is an award-winning blogger, speaker, and author at The Social Media Hat, and Head of Strategic Partnerships at Agorapulse where he strengthens relationships with influencers and brand partners.

Tell Us Below:

Have you been on either end of a brand influencer agreement? What was in it?

1 Like