Facebook Personal and Business Pages re managing social for clients

So, I’ve not been able to get a straight answer yet about standard practices for in-house social media managers. For example, it sort of drives me nuts that I have to have my personal FB account connected to my employer’s account to manage (Administer) their business Pages. With organic postings there’s not too much of an issue, but with Ads Manager it gets weird. I still (after 3 months) have not been able to set up a pixel or conversions API, which has me thinking it has to do with my personal account being connected. I even have profile pictures of me (that I never uploaded) that auto populate placements for the business Page Ads I create! So, my question is, is there another way to go about managing social media for someone else’s business?

4 Likes

I think we need to find you an ads expert @tank as I bet there is a way to do this using Business Manager. As far as the organic posts go - do you post directly on the Page or through Creator Studio? CC: @deb

3 Likes

OH and welcome to the community @tank

2 Likes

Hi and welcome, Tank! Wow that sounds frustrating. I’d be interested to hear the answer to this question too, as I am also unsure of that answer. Wondering if @lowell might know?

1 Like

@amanda and @tony1 are always great at answering ad workflow questions tagging the for their help

2 Likes

Thanks! For organic posts I am currently using Agorapulse. Before that I was using Meta Business Suite for my posts.

1 Like

Paging @amanda @tony1 @lowell @RatzPackMedia

I don’t think either of these pieces directly answers your question, but perhaps going step by step may reveal a hiccup?

1 Like

Hi, Not sure about this. I’ve always used my personal account to link to facebook rather than a “dummy” or fake account. That can get you into trouble.
But when managing things for my clients I do have my own Business Business Manager account and that is linked to my clients own Business manager accounts as an “agency” or “partner” under their business manager account. Does this make sense? So instead of them adding you as a Personal contact with your personal FB profile to their page or business manager, you are added as a business from your own Business manager account.

Other than that, your issues with showing your profile pic on their ads, that sounds like you are not using their correct Facebook ads account when making ads. This can all get very complicated and confusing so I hope this helps in the explanation.

4 Likes

Here is how it breaks down… and DO NOT miss the 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) step!

• You have a personal profile with 2FA turned on
  • You need your own Business Page (your own, not a client’s)
  • You need your own Business Account. This gives you a Business ID that you can find in Settings > More Business Settings > Business Info

Next you can help walk a client through this…

• Client has a Personal Profile with 2FA turned on
  • Client has a Business Page
  • Client has an Instagram Business Profile linked to their Page
  • Client creates their own Business Account
  • Client has their own Ad Account created inside that Business Account & credit card attached
  • Client has their own pixel inside that Business Account
  • Client verifies their domain inside that Business Account
  • Client adds your Business Account as a “Partner” using your Business ID, not as a person.
  • Client assigns the Page, Instagram, Ad Account, & Pixel to your Business as a Partner

Ok. The client has done their part. Now head back into your own Business Account. You will now see the client’s Page, Instagram, Ad Account, & Pixel showing up inside your Business Account, but you need to do one last step of adding yourself as a person to each of those assets inside of your own business account.

• Add yourself to their Page
  • Add yourself to their Instagram
  • Add yourself to their Ad Account
  • Go to their Pixel (under Data Sources) and accept the permissions, then add yourself to the Pixel

When all of this is done, you will be properly set up on the client’s accounts to manage their page and ads via your Business Account.

I know it sounds like a lot! But this will prevent a lot of the issues you have experienced and it protects you as a Business.

How do I know if I already have a Business Account?
When you go to Business Suite www.business.facebook.com you should see a “settings” icon at the bottom left. Pages that have not been attached to a Business Account are missing this.

How to create a Business Account
Go to Meta Business Suite and Business Manager overview and Create an Account. Only do this if you do not already have one created.

And last but not least, all of this magic (at the time of writing this post) for adding a Partner to a business takes place in Settings > More Business Settings and looks like this:

2 Likes

So helpful—thank you!

1 Like

Whoa, @amanda —I may literally just take this response and turn it into an article—thank you so much!

3 Likes

This is gold! @amanda @lowell Thank you! Now I just need to set it up. I actually just deleted my personal FB business page earlier today thinking that might have been causing a problem. Good thing I have 14 days to reactive it! I’m not Friends with my employer on FB so I wasn’t made admin via that way. Anyway, looks like I’m going to have to schedule a morning for this with my employer. I’ll let you know when I’m successful. Last question, regarding the pixel: Instead of a pixel I prefer to use the Conversions API. In your step-by-step @amanda, would I omit the pixel part and simply set up Conversions API for both my employer’s Business Account?

3 Likes

Good luck! I hope it goes smoothly for you, and glad we caught this in time to reinstate your own Business Page. :slight_smile: The beauty of using Business Suite & Business Settings to set this up is that you don’t need to be friends with any of your clients to gain access. It keeps it all business and all clean. :slight_smile:

You will want to implement both the pixel as well as the Conversions API and run them both simultaneously. Facebook will take in both sets of data and keep the most accurate set. This will give you data on both browser events and server events.

3 Likes

i always go through as my agency also