Job Title: Director, Social Media
Company: National MS Society
Location: United States
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society mobilizes people and resources to drive research for a cure and to address the challenges of everyone affected by MS. To fulfill this mission, the Society funds cutting-edge research, drives change through advocacy, facilitates professional education, collaborates with MS organizations around the world, and provides programs and services designed to help people with MS and their families move their lives forward. We partner with volunteers to accomplish our work. Staff members engage volunteers through effective and timely communications, facilitating meaningful opportunities, and continually seeking and providing feedback for reciprocal growth and learning.
The Director of Social Media at the National Multiple Sclerosis Society plays a key role in leading, developing and executing multi-channel organic social media campaigns that increase engagement, foster meaningful connections and drive revenue to support our mission. The ideal candidate is a thoughtful people manager with a proven track record of executing creative social media campaigns and building cross-functional relationships.
This role reports to the Vice President of Content Strategy and involves overseeing a team of three Social Media Managers and a Multimedia Specialist. In this role you will have the ability to choose the primary work location, whether that is remotely from your home or a MS Society office.
Essential Functions / Responsibility
Digital and Social Media Strategy - 30%
- Lead and mentor the Social Media team in creating content and campaigns that advance the Society’s mission.
- Execute the Society’s social media strategy with a focus on: Empowering and educating audiences through top-of-funnel awareness- and education-focused content; Generating revenue and supporting peer-to-peer fundraising event registration, participation and engagement; Driving awareness for the Society’s vision, services and global leadership and support audience engagement with mission-oriented content; and Engaging audiences to build connection and affinity for the Society.
- Create multi-channel social media campaigns that drive engagement, increase donations and support the Society’s mission and develop innovative digital experiences for a broad range of audiences — including people with MS, researchers, donors, healthcare professionals, activists and more.
- Supervise high-profile social accounts on Facebook, Instagram, X/Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok and other emerging channels.
- Oversee budget management and channel allocation strategies to ensure they align with the objectives and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Monitor social media metrics; provide regular reports on campaign performance, audience growth and engagement; and leverage social media analytics to generate more impactful social campaigns and content.
Content Creation and Community Management - 30%
- Oversee and support the development and curation of engaging, impactful content for various social media platforms.
- Ensure that all content is aligned with the content strategy and brand guidelines.
- Support the social media managers in fostering an online community that encourages meaningful engagement and interaction.
- Lead influencer strategy, user-generated content and social media storytelling efforts.
- Oversee community management efforts, ensuring all comments, messages and inquiries receive a response in a timely and professional manner.
Cross-functional Collaboration - 20%
- Partner with Marketing leadership and internal stakeholders to build a comprehensive, full-funnel strategy that enhances engagement, boosts event participation, and contributes to achieving revenue targets.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with peers in Paid Media, Content, Brand, Constituent Experience, Development, Advocacy and more.
- Align with graphic designers and multimedia specialists to create assets that reinforce brand guidelines and support social media engagement.
- Develop and maintain relationship with our partner at Meta
Staff Supervisor – Management Band - 20%
- Responsible for the hiring, onboarding, and continued development of direct reports
- Conduct regular check-ins to monitor progress, provide feedback, and offer guidance and support where needed to ensure staff is fully supported in their role
- Ensures staff have the tools, knowledge, and resources necessary to perform job duties effectively as well as opportunities for professional development
- Coach and collaborate on goal-setting and professional development plans and conduct formal and informal performance conversations
- Hold staff accountable to the cultural values of the organization and ensure they follow Society operating principles
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or a related field
- Experienced marketing/communications professionals with 5+ years’ experience working in social media
- Experience managing and leading a team, with strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proven expertise and demonstrated creativity at developing and implementing strategic digital/organic social media campaigns and producing compelling content that educates, engages and drives action
- Superior ability to communicate; manage projects and resources; and organize and present ideas and concepts
- Demonstrated experience executing high quality projects on-time and within budget
- Outstanding writing and editing skills with high attention to detail
- Fluency in digital content best practices and emerging trends
- High comfort level with soliciting feedback from multiple stakeholders and incorporating it into the work
- Excellent at working cross-functionally to strengthen relationships, build trust, and prioritize and manage projects
- Strong analytical thinking, decision making, time management, and project management skills
- Ability to assimilate information from a variety of sources, analyze information, and recommend courses of action to be taken; think through problems to make inclusive decisions; and lead others through complex situations
- A growth mindset and willingness to adapt based on feedback, organizational needs and evolving industry trends
Extensive understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, X/Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, etc.)
Experience using social media management and project management tools (SproutSocial, Asana, etc.)
Compensation & Benefits Information
Estimated compensation range for this role is $82,000 - $98,000 annually. Final offers will be based on candidate geographic location, consider career experience and may vary from this range due to these factors.
You will have the opportunity for a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package that the Society provides to employees. Your benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings. We value continuous learning and support your professional development through a Professional Development Assistance plan. You will join an incredible mission focused team of people!
The National MS Society is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We strive to create a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work. We need you and your unique talents and perspectives to help us write the last chapter on MS.
To foster a collaborative culture and support the Society’s mission, all Society employees, regardless of working arrangement, are expected to participate in department and local market meetings/outings and work Society fundraising events in their local market throughout the year.
The above statements describe the position as it exists now. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required in this position. It may be redesigned or reorganized at Human Resources discretion at any time.