Job Title: Director, Social Media
Company: Detroit Pistons
Location: Detroit, MI
Here at the Detroit Pistons, we are focused on equality for all. We work collaboratively to foster a diverse and inclusive work environment that celebrates our differences while driving innovation and equity. Creating impactful experiences on and off the court is what we do - and ensuring that everyone has a voice is how we do it.
The Director, Social Media, is responsible for the development of online communities for existing and next-gen fans via social media to build relevance and create relationships with our Pistons brand.
We are an organization that is committed to leadership in our community, diversity and inclusion, teamwork, our customers and personal character and accountability. We are seeking a driven addition to reflect our core values. We consider ourselves an extension of The Pistons brand, we are excited to engage with the Detroit community, and we want to meet you!
What You’ll Be Doing
- Define and drive social strategy, helping develop voice and tone, channel guidelines, goals, and audience targets for the Detroit Pistons, Motor City Cruise (Pistons G-League Team) and Pistons GT (NBA 2K Team)
- Deep knowledge and proven results of crafting and implementing innovative social media growth strategies
- Oversee day-to-day posting and community management for all social media accounts
- Curate and maintain active engagement with fan base, and develop social media campaigns including budget planning, content strategy, implementation schedules, and event/live-game coverage
- Ability to pitch and develop creative ideas for social content and initiatives
- Work with Brand, Marketing, Content, and Creative teams to establish social media style guides and standards to ensure brand consistency
- Work with Brand & Lifestyle Marketing team to align social media strategy with our influencer programming
- Lead collaboration with sponsorship and sales team to build engaging content to meet partner and media goals
- Partner with PR & Communications team to develop storylines and messaging
- Collaborate with creative designers to ensure assets are optimized for maximum performance on individual platforms
- Work cross-functionally with other departments on tentpoles and other projects like schedule release, branded content, community relations events, etc.
- Directly lead and develop social media team
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of social media industry trends and assess potential for new social platforms and opportunities
- Run social media calendar and share with internal collaborators
- Develop ongoing reports to provide insights into social media performance/engagement, and make recommendations for improvement in usability, content development and promotion
- Point of contact with NBA for all social media related subject matter
- Identify and implement social media/content partnership activation opportunities with corporate partners
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with shown experience on writing, editing and crafting content for social media
- Confirmed knowledge of social media management tools and platforms
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree or qualifying experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in social media
- Minimum 3 years of managerial experience of a team required
- Knowledge of media production and entertainment via written, oral, and visual media.
- Demonstrate understanding of social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, Snapchat, YouTube, Weibo etc.)
- Proficient in social media critical metrics, impressions, and engagements for brand enhancement
- Ability to build effective content strategy for Detroit Pistons audience engagement
- Ability to adapt to trends relevant to organizational marketing strategies
- Previous experience working in sports social media preferred
- Strong knowledge and understanding of basketball
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong leadership, communication, and organization skills required
- Availability to work nights, weekends and holidays as required
- Journalistic skills highly preferred for short lengths of copy to be used on social sites.
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop a plus
- Professional demeanor and ability to handle highly confidential information is required.
- Willing to travel on road trips and attend conferences
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.