Job Title: DIGITAL COMM MGR 1 (Social Media Director)
Company: University of California, Davis Davis, CA
Location: Davis, CA
Strategic Communications provides comprehensive and coordinated campus leadership in planning, creating and implementing integrated marketing and communications programs across all media that foster increased awareness, understanding and support of UC Davis’ mission, vision, accomplishments and needs among its many internal and external constituencies. It serves as the official voice of UC Davis to regional, state, national and international news media.
Strategic Communications encompasses six units: Visual Communications, News and Media Relations, Web Communications, Social Media, Marketing and Branding, and Executive Communications. Strategic Communications’ multimedia storytellers, designers, Web developers, information architects and search-engine experts have a mission to communicate university messages through interactive media. We coordinate these communications across platforms to reach our audiences. Our efforts could be seen on the UC Davis home site, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and other sites and channels.
Under general direction of the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, the Director of Social Media will be responsible for planning, overseeing and reporting on programs that support the goals and objectives of the UC Davis communications strategy. Advances the University’s local, regional and national visibility and creates an integrated and effective collegiate communications program utilizing a broad spectrum of tools and technologies. Oversees the strategy for the UC Davis master social media brand, Undergraduate Admissions social media, and executive social media. Lead and manage staff and annual budget for the social media program. Develop and maintain a comprehensive social media strategy that defines how social media marketing techniques will be applied to increase visibility and traffic across all UC Davis brands and products. Lead highly complex organization-wide communications programs. Work with all UC Davis brands to explore and identify ways to integrate social media into business strategies and marketing campaigns. Oversee daily posting activities of a team of Social Media Managers, Coordinators and student interns in social media channels, and monitors performance. Make decisions about content strategy, choosing different outlets and making recommendations to senior leaders on where to communicate with various audiences and how to approach them within that medium. Ensure that UC Davis is engaged in emerging interactive media trends and has an active array of blogs and communications focused on specific target audiences. Manage online reputation by monitoring social media for emerging areas of criticism or concern for the university. Lead the strategy and management of all UC Davis social media channels and senior executive social channels during crisis situations. Lead the development of organization-wide social media management standards, governance, policies and rules of engagement for social media. Mentor and provide training to communication and management professionals. Define key performance indicators and implement enterprise-level measurement, analytics, and reporting methods to gauge success.
RECRUITMENT PERIOD ONE MONTH: Applicants will be screened after two weeks; and then on a weekly basis. The position can be filled prior to the removal date.
$94,300/annually - $208,700/annually - Salary is based on Department specific budgeted amount and will be commensurate with experience.
No. of Positions
Percentage of Time
Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm
Davis, CA. – Potential for hybrid work schedule to work onsite/offsite based on workload and to meet deadlines.
Apply by Date
April 15th 2023
Sit at computer for extended periods of time.
Lift objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
The Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment policy is intended to provide a healthier, safer, and more productive work and learning environment for the entire UC community. The University of California prohibits smoking and tobacco use at all University owned or leased properties, or facilities operated by UC staff or faculty. Smoking and tobacco use are strictly prohibited in indoor and outdoor spaces, parking lots, residential space, and University vehicles.
Work flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends to respond to operational needs.
Occasional travel to attend meetings, conferences and events including occasional overnight travel.
- BS/BA degree advertising, communications, marketing, public relations or equivalent education and extensive work experience.
- Minimum of five years of experience overseeing various social media channels for a large organization, with experience in engagement strategy and reporting as well as in managing programs and teams.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with all aspects of social media communications including strategic planning and implementation for complex and multi-faceted social media environments and brand systems, including implementing long and short-term strategic online communication plans.
- Experience defining, tracking, and reporting on enterprise level social media key performance indicators. Advanced ability to develop and implement metrics to demonstrate social media success.
- Experience in monitoring social media channels and generating reports during crises and advising on crisis management and response on social media.
- Experience in implementing accessibility and inclusivity best practices in social media communications content and channels and knowledge of web accessibility standards, particularly WCAG 2.0
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities (KSA)
Knowledge of graphic design, photography and videography best practices in social media to direct content producers and optimize content strategy to create optimal audience engagement.
- Master’s degree in related field, or equivalent experience/ training
- Experience using interpersonal, communication and public relations skills to develop and maintain strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, and to effectively communicate and training others on complex and technical skills and information in an understandable manner.
- Experience creating and identifying quality social media content related to a variety of academic and research topics or in a Higher Education environment.
- Knowledge and experience with social media and related software and how to manage professional staff’s use, or personally perform technical work, on those platforms. Includes design software, editing programs, monitoring software, and content management systems.
The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
At UC Davis, we’re solving life’s most urgent challenges to bring a fuller, healthier, and more resilient world within reach. We grow from every challenge we take on and we don’t just maintain - we improve.
We recognize that creating an inclusive and intellectually vibrant organization means understanding and valuing both our individual differences and our common ground. The most comprehensive solutions come from the most diverse minds and you belong here.
As you consider joining UC Davis, please explore our Principles of Community , our Clinical Strategic Plan and strategic vision for research and education, and our latest efforts to outgrow the expected .
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.