Job Title: Assistant Manager, Social Media
Company: The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
Location: Washington, DC
About The Kennedy Center
“I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit.” – President John F. Kennedy
The Kennedy Center is the nation’s cultural center and living memorial to President John F. Kennedy. Located on the banks of the Potomac River in Washington, D.C., the Center presents performances across all genres, and is also home to artistic affiliates Washington National Opera and National Symphony Orchestra.
At the Kennedy Center, we strive to foster belonging and empowerment at work. We are able to advance our mission because of our committed and passionate employees. We are fortunate to be able to leverage their diverse perspectives, life experiences and skills to inform how our workplace can be a safe, transparent, and replenishing community. The Kennedy Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
Mission Statement: As the nation’s performing arts center, and a living memorial to President John F. Kennedy, we are a leader for the arts across America and around the world, reaching and connecting with artists, inspiring and educating communities. We welcome all to create, experience, learn about, and engage with the arts.
Why Join Us
We offer a comprehensive range of benefits to all full-time employees including:
- Staff offers for discount tickets
- Retirement plan with organization matching (after 1 year of employment)
- Qualifying employer for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
- Commuter programs including pre-tax options for discounted parking and SmartBenefits (WMATA)
- Annual Leave, Sick Leave, and Personal Days available immediately upon hire
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits with FSA and HSA options, and paid FMLA
- Flexible work arrangements
We like to have fun! Check out the
The Assistant Manager, Social Media supports the social media strategy for a flexible portfolio of genres across all social media channels of the Kennedy Center and its affiliates, National Symphony Orchestra and Washington National Opera. This role creates content for appropriate social channels to amplify Kennedy Center messages, engage audiences in the brand’s mission, and drive revenue. As a patron-facing entity, this role provides exemplary customer service to Kennedy Center patrons across all social media channels.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Senior Social Media Manager and Social Media Video Producer, creates content and manages day-to-day implementation for all Kennedy Center and affiliate organization social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Medium, TikTok, and new or developing social media platforms), serving as primary lead of social strategy and execution for several programmatic categories. Works closely with programming, multimedia, press, and digital teams on creating content that represents the Kennedy Center’s brand and its programming.
- Works closely with marketing managers and digital marketing agency on content for paid digital media campaigns to sell tickets and promote events
- Provides social media coverage on the ground in real time for Kennedy Center events and programming, including regular evening and weekend coverage on- and off-site.
- Monitors customer service inquiries across all platforms and directs questions or patron concerns to appropriate staff members.
- Engages influencers and monitors relevant user-generated content to amplify where applicable.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2-4 years proven experience in the digital and social space
- Bachelor’s degree Communications, Marketing, or a related field is preferable, but not required
- Intensive knowledge of social media platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Medium, and YouTube
- Healthy appetite for spotting, assessing, and taking advantage of trends
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High personal productivity
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to think creatively and provide innovative ideas and solutions
- Interest in/knowledge of the performing arts
- Good work ethic, high standards, strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment essential
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Creative Suite, video and audio editing software and basic HTML a plus
- Familiarity with/passion for one or more of the following Kennedy Center programming categories a plus: Washington National Opera, Hip Hop and Contemporary Music, Jazz, National Symphony Orchestra