Are you in Higher Ed? Say hello here 🎓

Share who you are…what you do…where you are located.
And then watch for others from other Higher Ed institutions by tapping on the higher-ed tag (under the post title above)!

1 Like

Hi!! :wave: I’m Ruth Inman, Director of Community Education here at Social Media Pulse Community. Before joining the community team here at SMP, I spent 15 years in marketing communications, first in internal communications for higher education and as a freelancer. Later, I got a Ph.D in education and most recently was a digital media assistant professor at Oklahoma State University. It’s safe to say I love all things higher ed!

Here at SMP, I oversee Pulse Academy, our learning hub. Over the next few months, we’ll be planning and adding additional courses. I’d love to hear from you about what you need - whether you teach in higher ed or are in higher ed social.

Be sure to check out our courses and engage in the Academy Study Group with questions and discussion.

In addition to nerding out over all thing social and digital media (special place in my heart for graphic design) - I also am a mom, a coffee addict, a fifth-generation woman in agriculture and western fashion enthusiast!

Can’t wait to meet all of you! Follow me on other social media platforms!
LinkedIn | Instagram | Twitter

2 Likes

Hello! I’m Garrett Steede and I’m an assistant professor of agricultural communication & marketing at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. I currently teach our social media course on a rotating basis and try to focus the course on social media marketing. Because social media is constantly changing, I try to ensure my students have up-to-date information and content including industry-driven certifications and trainings.

4 Likes

Whoop whoop. Welcome to SMP, @garrett.steede!

1 Like

Hi everyone.
I am a former agency copywriter and creative director. I have been a professor at WVU and Temple adjunct and full time at Johns Hopkins and now as an assistant professor of marketing at Messiah University. I have taught in communications and business schools with a focus on social media, digital marketing and IMC.

4 Likes

Welcome, @kquesenberry! Looking forward to having you in the community and working with you on Pulse Academy!

3 Likes

Hi! I’m Carla Swank Fox and I’m a lecturer in interactive media at Middle Tennessee State University. I teach undergraduate courses in audience research, digital writing, and social media. I’m also in the process of writing a course for Fall 2022 on gender and representation in interactive media, which I’m very excited about. In my spare time (ha!), I serve as Editorial Director for a nonprofit professional association for church musicians and worship artists. And, most importantly, I’m a new mom! Happy to be here!

4 Likes

Hi @carlaswankfox! Happy you joined us! Can’t wait to get the #HigherEd conversations going! ps Congrats on the :baby:

1 Like

Hello again - nice to see some familiar faces in here. I’m considered adjunct faculty at my local University. I teach an online course, the Power of Social Media Marketing to students in their Media Department. I did teach in the classroom this past month and that was interesting as the mask policy changed right in the middle of the block. This University teaches in the block system so I was in the classroom almost all day M-F for 4 weeks. For the online version, I just need to be live on Saturday mornings in an Open Office Hour format. I’m very happy to connect with others who teach in higher-ed.

3 Likes

The diversity in your experience and expertise is really interesting, @carlaswankfox!

2 Likes

Hi! I am the Social Media Coordinator at Southern Utah University. The university only recently invested in a full-time SMM and I am excited to see the impact my team and I can make in the coming years.

3 Likes

Hi @summerfrandsen congratulations on breaking the social media ice there! Glad you’re here.

Incidentally, I competed in the middle school Shakespeare Competition at SUU circa 1994. We were valiant, but got disqualified for going over on time … :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks Ruth.

2 Likes

Hello, all!

I’m Matt. I’m a professor in the Department of Mass Communication at Shepherd University. I teach a social media class and a few other related classes. Excited to meet everyone.

4 Likes

@carlsonm just wanted to be sure you knew we are working on forming a Higher Ed Mastermind group here! Would love for you to do an introduction :space_friend:

1 Like