Analytics are for EVERYONE (yes, even you!) (Brie E. Anderson)

Brie E. Anderson

In more ways than one, getting started with analytics feels like drinking from a fire hose. Not only is there far too much information, but most of the time, you also just don’t want to do it.

Not to mention the idea of analytics is not very sexy. A whole bunch of numbers that have to be interpreted? I’d rather not.

However, the truth is that analytics are what make our professions so valuable. Analytics help us create better content, copy, community, and overall strategies. So ignoring the numbers is just not an option.

Getting Started with Social Media Analytics

Almost everything you need to get started with analytics as a social media manager is handled by the platforms you use. For instance, if you have a Facebook page you have access to Facebook Page insights, if you have a Twitter account you have access to Twitter Analytics, and so on and so forth.

But this isn’t the case for every platform. On platforms like Instagram and TikTok, if you want to get access to Analytics you have to tell the platform you are a business in your profile settings. Once this is done, you will have access to all of the analytics those platforms have deemed important.

Setting Up Google Analytics for Website Analytics

The user journey doesn’t end on social media, so we need to have a way to track actions off-platform. In most cases the next step for a user is to visit a business website. This can be tracked using Google Analytics.

Setting up Google Analytics is relatively easy. However, oftentimes people set up the tracking and assume it’s good enough. But in order to get the most out of Google Analytics, you’re going to want to set up tracking for specific events. Think about the things you would like your audience to complete on your website, and make sure those actions are being tracked.

Using Your Data

All of this data is great, but it’s really only worth something if you use it. Using your social analytics can look a few different ways, but I’m going to show you some of the most common ways I use mine.

An Example of Using Data for Content Strategy

First things first: I go into my analytics with a question in mind. This keeps me from going down a rabbit hole and looking at a bunch of data that is going to overwhelm me.

Let’s say, for instance, I want to know which of my tweets lead to the most profile visits. The process is pretty simple:

1. Open Twitter Analytics.
  2. Navigate to Tweet Analytics and export data. Exporting the data allows you to sort and filter the data however you would like, which makes it easier to find answers.
  3. Sort by Profile Visits.
  4. See what tweets lead to the most profile visits and find what those tweets have in common. Is it a certain time of day, a certain topic, or maybe a specific hashtag?
  5. Make a hypothesis and test it!

Once you have made a hypothesis and determined a test, you just do your job as usual with the data in mind.

Now you’re data-driven!

Brie E Anderson @beastanalyticsco
Brie is an Analytical Nerd with a Soft Spot for Strategy! She’s the founder of BEAST Analytics, a digital marketing analytics consultancy, and founder of Marketing Merch Store.

1 Like

Ah yes - I do agree: data isn’t sexy at first but it’s how we interpret it & what we do with it that makes it so. I am just now getting into the Google Analytics side of things even though I’ve often heard it described as a big headache. Thank you for suggesting to have a question to answer before diving in - very helpful.

3 Likes

I’ve got to confess to being a big nerd for the data.

It’s a really good tool to use if you’ve got people asking you to do something you know is a bad idea.

Dig into your data and find an example where it didn’t work and show them that. Or if you want to steer them in a different direction, find data to show how your solution will perform better.

2 Likes