Adding Music to Video on Business Insta and Tik Tok

Is there a way to use popular music in video published from a business Instagram or Tik Tok account? I see small businesses doing it all the time. Not sure how they’re doing it. Even if I did know, I’m in no hurry to get copyright infringement banned or my employer sued. I’ve been to platforms that license music rights but it’s way too expensive for a small business like us. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey @tank - they are using the music that is built into the app. so people will create the videos outside the app and then add the music while uploading – at least that’s one way to do it.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s how I do it as well. I’m just wondering if there’s a way to use popular music instead of the, well let’s be honest, not so popular music.

1 Like

Hey there! One way that I’ve found is an easy way to get the good sounds is to “save” them when I come across other people using them. However, if you simply switch the category of your profile to “Entrepreneur” in Instagram, you’ll gain access to them by default. Here’s a link explaining.

4 Likes

That’s interesting… “Entrepreneur” doesn’t change the fact that you’re still a company using creative property to essentially promote your for-profit business. Ok, so it says that in the article. Got it!
First and foremost, as a photographer who’s own work has been used without permission, it comes down to a matter of ethics for me. Just like I won’t plagiarize copy, I won’t steal someone’s music. Second, I’m not going to take the risk of breaking the law and a possible lawsuit. Anyway, thanks for sharing Jen, I appreciate it! I like the “save” tip too:)

3 Likes

Always happy to help. Yeah, having your work stolen and used without any attribution is an awful thing to experience, and it happens so easily these days. Glad you found the article and my tip helpful! :smiley:

1 Like

I use the save music tip too…mostly because I love some of the songs and voices people give to dogs!

4 Likes

I found i had less music on my business profile, but then I changed my business type a couple of times and eventually I now seem to have access to a lot more. I also prefer to err on side of caution with copyright. Its interesting that often if you share something outside of where you created it the music gets removed.

2 Likes